Gaming News: South Korea’s Chung-Ang University to Welcome ‘E-Sports’ Athletes in 2015
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 3:22 PM EST
It’s not breaking news but here it goes again: South Korea is taking the “gaming” business very, very seriously.
Chung-Ang University, ranked the 8th best school in South Korea, will begin accepting e-Sports applicants starting in 2015 for students enrolled in the university’s Department of Sport Science, according to a report from kotaku.com.
“Currently, that department fields students who play team sports like soccer, basketball, and baseball. It also looks for students who play individual sports like golf, bowling, badminton, squash, water skiing, snowboarding, and marksmanship. ESports will be considered an individual sport under the university's admissions policy,” stated in the same article.
It is a non-traditional offer for the usual schools elsewhere but not in South Korea, considered the E-gaming capital not only in Asia but around the world.
Gaming or “e-gaming” is a mainstream sport in the East Asian country with plenty of popular e-Sports pros coming from the country.
A quick look at esportsearning.com, a website that monitors the winnings of e-Sports players, determines that 5 of the Top 10 highest overall earners are from South Korea led by Jae Dong Lee with gaming moniker “JaeDong” with $375,712.95 in total earnings.
Also, South Korea is on the top of the list for the "highest earnings per country" with over $18.1M earned from 847 Korean players. They are of the United States ($12.6 from 1,764 players). Sweden ($6.1M from 504 players), China ($6.1M from 415 players) and Germany ($2.8M from 462 players) complete the top five.
South Korea has undoubtedly the most dedicated and skilled pros in the e-Sports business; a university encouraging and tolerating it only means they’d develop more prospects in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories