Gaming News: South Korea’s Chung-Ang University to Welcome ‘E-Sports’ Athletes in 2015
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 3:22 PM EST
It’s not breaking news but here it goes again: South Korea is taking the “gaming” business very, very seriously.
Chung-Ang University, ranked the 8th best school in South Korea, will begin accepting e-Sports applicants starting in 2015 for students enrolled in the university’s Department of Sport Science, according to a report from kotaku.com.
“Currently, that department fields students who play team sports like soccer, basketball, and baseball. It also looks for students who play individual sports like golf, bowling, badminton, squash, water skiing, snowboarding, and marksmanship. ESports will be considered an individual sport under the university's admissions policy,” stated in the same article.
It is a non-traditional offer for the usual schools elsewhere but not in South Korea, considered the E-gaming capital not only in Asia but around the world.
Gaming or “e-gaming” is a mainstream sport in the East Asian country with plenty of popular e-Sports pros coming from the country.
A quick look at esportsearning.com, a website that monitors the winnings of e-Sports players, determines that 5 of the Top 10 highest overall earners are from South Korea led by Jae Dong Lee with gaming moniker “JaeDong” with $375,712.95 in total earnings.
Also, South Korea is on the top of the list for the "highest earnings per country" with over $18.1M earned from 847 Korean players. They are of the United States ($12.6 from 1,764 players). Sweden ($6.1M from 504 players), China ($6.1M from 415 players) and Germany ($2.8M from 462 players) complete the top five.
South Korea has undoubtedly the most dedicated and skilled pros in the e-Sports business; a university encouraging and tolerating it only means they’d develop more prospects in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28