Gaming News: South Korea’s Chung-Ang University to Welcome ‘E-Sports’ Athletes in 2015
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 3:22 PM EST
It’s not breaking news but here it goes again: South Korea is taking the “gaming” business very, very seriously.
Chung-Ang University, ranked the 8th best school in South Korea, will begin accepting e-Sports applicants starting in 2015 for students enrolled in the university’s Department of Sport Science, according to a report from kotaku.com.
“Currently, that department fields students who play team sports like soccer, basketball, and baseball. It also looks for students who play individual sports like golf, bowling, badminton, squash, water skiing, snowboarding, and marksmanship. ESports will be considered an individual sport under the university's admissions policy,” stated in the same article.
It is a non-traditional offer for the usual schools elsewhere but not in South Korea, considered the E-gaming capital not only in Asia but around the world.
Gaming or “e-gaming” is a mainstream sport in the East Asian country with plenty of popular e-Sports pros coming from the country.
A quick look at esportsearning.com, a website that monitors the winnings of e-Sports players, determines that 5 of the Top 10 highest overall earners are from South Korea led by Jae Dong Lee with gaming moniker “JaeDong” with $375,712.95 in total earnings.
Also, South Korea is on the top of the list for the "highest earnings per country" with over $18.1M earned from 847 Korean players. They are of the United States ($12.6 from 1,764 players). Sweden ($6.1M from 504 players), China ($6.1M from 415 players) and Germany ($2.8M from 462 players) complete the top five.
South Korea has undoubtedly the most dedicated and skilled pros in the e-Sports business; a university encouraging and tolerating it only means they’d develop more prospects in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers