Gaming News: South Korea’s Chung-Ang University to Welcome ‘E-Sports’ Athletes in 2015
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 3:22 PM EST
It’s not breaking news but here it goes again: South Korea is taking the “gaming” business very, very seriously.
Chung-Ang University, ranked the 8th best school in South Korea, will begin accepting e-Sports applicants starting in 2015 for students enrolled in the university’s Department of Sport Science, according to a report from kotaku.com.
“Currently, that department fields students who play team sports like soccer, basketball, and baseball. It also looks for students who play individual sports like golf, bowling, badminton, squash, water skiing, snowboarding, and marksmanship. ESports will be considered an individual sport under the university's admissions policy,” stated in the same article.
It is a non-traditional offer for the usual schools elsewhere but not in South Korea, considered the E-gaming capital not only in Asia but around the world.
Gaming or “e-gaming” is a mainstream sport in the East Asian country with plenty of popular e-Sports pros coming from the country.
A quick look at esportsearning.com, a website that monitors the winnings of e-Sports players, determines that 5 of the Top 10 highest overall earners are from South Korea led by Jae Dong Lee with gaming moniker “JaeDong” with $375,712.95 in total earnings.
Also, South Korea is on the top of the list for the "highest earnings per country" with over $18.1M earned from 847 Korean players. They are of the United States ($12.6 from 1,764 players). Sweden ($6.1M from 504 players), China ($6.1M from 415 players) and Germany ($2.8M from 462 players) complete the top five.
South Korea has undoubtedly the most dedicated and skilled pros in the e-Sports business; a university encouraging and tolerating it only means they’d develop more prospects in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]