Gaming News: South Korea’s Chung-Ang University to Welcome ‘E-Sports’ Athletes in 2015
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 3:22 PM EST
It’s not breaking news but here it goes again: South Korea is taking the “gaming” business very, very seriously.
Chung-Ang University, ranked the 8th best school in South Korea, will begin accepting e-Sports applicants starting in 2015 for students enrolled in the university’s Department of Sport Science, according to a report from kotaku.com.
“Currently, that department fields students who play team sports like soccer, basketball, and baseball. It also looks for students who play individual sports like golf, bowling, badminton, squash, water skiing, snowboarding, and marksmanship. ESports will be considered an individual sport under the university's admissions policy,” stated in the same article.
It is a non-traditional offer for the usual schools elsewhere but not in South Korea, considered the E-gaming capital not only in Asia but around the world.
Gaming or “e-gaming” is a mainstream sport in the East Asian country with plenty of popular e-Sports pros coming from the country.
A quick look at esportsearning.com, a website that monitors the winnings of e-Sports players, determines that 5 of the Top 10 highest overall earners are from South Korea led by Jae Dong Lee with gaming moniker “JaeDong” with $375,712.95 in total earnings.
Also, South Korea is on the top of the list for the "highest earnings per country" with over $18.1M earned from 847 Korean players. They are of the United States ($12.6 from 1,764 players). Sweden ($6.1M from 504 players), China ($6.1M from 415 players) and Germany ($2.8M from 462 players) complete the top five.
South Korea has undoubtedly the most dedicated and skilled pros in the e-Sports business; a university encouraging and tolerating it only means they’d develop more prospects in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6