Floyd Mayweather to 'Part Ways' With Golden Boy Promotions; Undefeated Boxer May Fight Khan at Wembley in May 2015
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 5, 2014 3:06 PM EST
After Richard Schaefer's decision to leave Golden Boy Promotions comes another blow to Oscar De La Hoya's company. It has been reported Floyd Mayweather is set to part ways with De La Hoya's camp.
REUTERS/R. Marsh Starks
Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. celebrates his majority decision victory over Marcos Maidana of Argentina in their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. Mayweather improved his record to 46-0. REUTERS/R. Marsh Starks
ESPN reported Schaefer's resignation from Golden Boy has greatly influenced Mayweather's decision to leave the company. Now that he is no longer affiliated with Golden Boy, Mayweather has no reasons to work with De La Hoya's company again.
Mayweather's Adviser Leonard Ellerbe said when the undefeated boxer steps back in the boxing ring come September, Golden Boy will no longer be a part of it.
"We have a great working relationship with Richard Schaefer and that will never change," Ellerbe said.
"Richard is a good friend and a great businessman and an excellent promoter," he added.
"Richard will have an impact in anything that he decides to do, a tremendous impact. He built that company from the ground up and did a phenomenal job. We've had a very close relationship for a number of years and worked hand-in-hand on a number of great fights."
Ellerbe, who works as the chief executive for Mayweather Promotions, said the undefeated boxer's company will keep promoting his future fights. "I have a tremendous team and staff and we continue to expand year by year and we're ready to go."
Meanwhile, Dailymail.co.uk reported the American boxer wants to fight in England before he hangs up his gloves. The British webloid further wrote that Amir Khan could be Mayweather's next opponent.
"Floyd Mayweather wants to fight Amir Khan at Wembley after being blown away by last weekend's spectacular show at the national stadium," wrote the Web site. "Mayweather wants to fight in England before he retires with Khan a possible opponent in May."
Mayweather reportedly told The Sun how he had always wanted to come to UK and put on a great show. He said he wanted to continue making history with the huge events that his team put on.
"The plan is to do just that."
"I love all my fans in the UK and I want to go there and give a good show at Wembley before I retire," Mayweather said.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6