Floyd Mayweather to 'Part Ways' With Golden Boy Promotions; Undefeated Boxer May Fight Khan at Wembley in May 2015
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 5, 2014 3:06 PM EST
After Richard Schaefer's decision to leave Golden Boy Promotions comes another blow to Oscar De La Hoya's company. It has been reported Floyd Mayweather is set to part ways with De La Hoya's camp.
REUTERS/R. Marsh Starks
Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. celebrates his majority decision victory over Marcos Maidana of Argentina in their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. Mayweather improved his record to 46-0. REUTERS/R. Marsh Starks
ESPN reported Schaefer's resignation from Golden Boy has greatly influenced Mayweather's decision to leave the company. Now that he is no longer affiliated with Golden Boy, Mayweather has no reasons to work with De La Hoya's company again.
Mayweather's Adviser Leonard Ellerbe said when the undefeated boxer steps back in the boxing ring come September, Golden Boy will no longer be a part of it.
"We have a great working relationship with Richard Schaefer and that will never change," Ellerbe said.
"Richard is a good friend and a great businessman and an excellent promoter," he added.
"Richard will have an impact in anything that he decides to do, a tremendous impact. He built that company from the ground up and did a phenomenal job. We've had a very close relationship for a number of years and worked hand-in-hand on a number of great fights."
Ellerbe, who works as the chief executive for Mayweather Promotions, said the undefeated boxer's company will keep promoting his future fights. "I have a tremendous team and staff and we continue to expand year by year and we're ready to go."
Meanwhile, Dailymail.co.uk reported the American boxer wants to fight in England before he hangs up his gloves. The British webloid further wrote that Amir Khan could be Mayweather's next opponent.
"Floyd Mayweather wants to fight Amir Khan at Wembley after being blown away by last weekend's spectacular show at the national stadium," wrote the Web site. "Mayweather wants to fight in England before he retires with Khan a possible opponent in May."
Mayweather reportedly told The Sun how he had always wanted to come to UK and put on a great show. He said he wanted to continue making history with the huge events that his team put on.
"The plan is to do just that."
"I love all my fans in the UK and I want to go there and give a good show at Wembley before I retire," Mayweather said.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored