Floyd Mayweather to 'Part Ways' With Golden Boy Promotions; Undefeated Boxer May Fight Khan at Wembley in May 2015
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 5, 2014 3:06 PM EST
After Richard Schaefer's decision to leave Golden Boy Promotions comes another blow to Oscar De La Hoya's company. It has been reported Floyd Mayweather is set to part ways with De La Hoya's camp.
REUTERS/R. Marsh Starks
Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. celebrates his majority decision victory over Marcos Maidana of Argentina in their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. Mayweather improved his record to 46-0. REUTERS/R. Marsh Starks
ESPN reported Schaefer's resignation from Golden Boy has greatly influenced Mayweather's decision to leave the company. Now that he is no longer affiliated with Golden Boy, Mayweather has no reasons to work with De La Hoya's company again.
Mayweather's Adviser Leonard Ellerbe said when the undefeated boxer steps back in the boxing ring come September, Golden Boy will no longer be a part of it.
"We have a great working relationship with Richard Schaefer and that will never change," Ellerbe said.
"Richard is a good friend and a great businessman and an excellent promoter," he added.
"Richard will have an impact in anything that he decides to do, a tremendous impact. He built that company from the ground up and did a phenomenal job. We've had a very close relationship for a number of years and worked hand-in-hand on a number of great fights."
Ellerbe, who works as the chief executive for Mayweather Promotions, said the undefeated boxer's company will keep promoting his future fights. "I have a tremendous team and staff and we continue to expand year by year and we're ready to go."
Meanwhile, Dailymail.co.uk reported the American boxer wants to fight in England before he hangs up his gloves. The British webloid further wrote that Amir Khan could be Mayweather's next opponent.
"Floyd Mayweather wants to fight Amir Khan at Wembley after being blown away by last weekend's spectacular show at the national stadium," wrote the Web site. "Mayweather wants to fight in England before he retires with Khan a possible opponent in May."
Mayweather reportedly told The Sun how he had always wanted to come to UK and put on a great show. He said he wanted to continue making history with the huge events that his team put on.
"The plan is to do just that."
"I love all my fans in the UK and I want to go there and give a good show at Wembley before I retire," Mayweather said.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones