2014 French Open Quarterfinals: Rafael Nadal Defeats David Ferrer [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 1:44 PM EST
World number one Rafael Nadal of Spain is now two wins away from notching his ninth French Open title and 14th Grand Slam title after beating compatriot David Ferrer in the quarterfinals of the men's singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain (top) and his compatriot David Ferrer walk on the court during their men's quarter-final match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 4, 2014.
Ferrer won the first set, 6-4 but Nadal proved to be the better Spaniard again finishing the match in four sets, 6-4, 6-0, 6-1. Nadal is now 22-6 all-time against Ferrer.
The Spanish No. 2 was off a promising start-- attacking the net (5/5 net points won) in the opening set and breaking Nadal's serve twice. However, Nadal found his rhythm in the second set and completely shook Ferrer's confidence in the one-sided third and fourth sets. Ferrer had 30 unforced errors in this stretch while Nadal only had 3.
“Probably yes, I was a little bit lucky that he made a few mistakes to helped me. After the first set I tried to move more with my forehand. He made more mistakes than usual then,” Nadal told the tournament's official website.
With the victory, Nadal advances to the semifinals where he will face Andy Murray of Great Britain.
View the slideshow for more images from the Ferrer-Nadal quarterfinal match in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists