2014 French Open Quarterfinals: Rafael Nadal Defeats David Ferrer [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 1:44 PM EST
World number one Rafael Nadal of Spain is now two wins away from notching his ninth French Open title and 14th Grand Slam title after beating compatriot David Ferrer in the quarterfinals of the men's singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain (top) and his compatriot David Ferrer walk on the court during their men's quarter-final match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 4, 2014.
Ferrer won the first set, 6-4 but Nadal proved to be the better Spaniard again finishing the match in four sets, 6-4, 6-0, 6-1. Nadal is now 22-6 all-time against Ferrer.
The Spanish No. 2 was off a promising start-- attacking the net (5/5 net points won) in the opening set and breaking Nadal's serve twice. However, Nadal found his rhythm in the second set and completely shook Ferrer's confidence in the one-sided third and fourth sets. Ferrer had 30 unforced errors in this stretch while Nadal only had 3.
“Probably yes, I was a little bit lucky that he made a few mistakes to helped me. After the first set I tried to move more with my forehand. He made more mistakes than usual then,” Nadal told the tournament's official website.
With the victory, Nadal advances to the semifinals where he will face Andy Murray of Great Britain.
View the slideshow for more images from the Ferrer-Nadal quarterfinal match in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers