2014 French Open Quarterfinals: Rafael Nadal Defeats David Ferrer [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 1:44 PM EST
World number one Rafael Nadal of Spain is now two wins away from notching his ninth French Open title and 14th Grand Slam title after beating compatriot David Ferrer in the quarterfinals of the men's singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain (top) and his compatriot David Ferrer walk on the court during their men's quarter-final match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 4, 2014.
Ferrer won the first set, 6-4 but Nadal proved to be the better Spaniard again finishing the match in four sets, 6-4, 6-0, 6-1. Nadal is now 22-6 all-time against Ferrer.
The Spanish No. 2 was off a promising start-- attacking the net (5/5 net points won) in the opening set and breaking Nadal's serve twice. However, Nadal found his rhythm in the second set and completely shook Ferrer's confidence in the one-sided third and fourth sets. Ferrer had 30 unforced errors in this stretch while Nadal only had 3.
“Probably yes, I was a little bit lucky that he made a few mistakes to helped me. After the first set I tried to move more with my forehand. He made more mistakes than usual then,” Nadal told the tournament's official website.
With the victory, Nadal advances to the semifinals where he will face Andy Murray of Great Britain.
View the slideshow for more images from the Ferrer-Nadal quarterfinal match in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers