2014 French Open Quarterfinals: Rafael Nadal Defeats David Ferrer [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 1:44 PM EST
World number one Rafael Nadal of Spain is now two wins away from notching his ninth French Open title and 14th Grand Slam title after beating compatriot David Ferrer in the quarterfinals of the men's singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain (top) and his compatriot David Ferrer walk on the court during their men's quarter-final match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 4, 2014.
Ferrer won the first set, 6-4 but Nadal proved to be the better Spaniard again finishing the match in four sets, 6-4, 6-0, 6-1. Nadal is now 22-6 all-time against Ferrer.
The Spanish No. 2 was off a promising start-- attacking the net (5/5 net points won) in the opening set and breaking Nadal's serve twice. However, Nadal found his rhythm in the second set and completely shook Ferrer's confidence in the one-sided third and fourth sets. Ferrer had 30 unforced errors in this stretch while Nadal only had 3.
“Probably yes, I was a little bit lucky that he made a few mistakes to helped me. After the first set I tried to move more with my forehand. He made more mistakes than usual then,” Nadal told the tournament's official website.
With the victory, Nadal advances to the semifinals where he will face Andy Murray of Great Britain.
View the slideshow for more images from the Ferrer-Nadal quarterfinal match in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles