2014 French Open Quarterfinals: Rafael Nadal Defeats David Ferrer [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 5, 2014 1:44 PM EST
World number one Rafael Nadal of Spain is now two wins away from notching his ninth French Open title and 14th Grand Slam title after beating compatriot David Ferrer in the quarterfinals of the men's singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain (top) and his compatriot David Ferrer walk on the court during their men's quarter-final match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 4, 2014.
Ferrer won the first set, 6-4 but Nadal proved to be the better Spaniard again finishing the match in four sets, 6-4, 6-0, 6-1. Nadal is now 22-6 all-time against Ferrer.
The Spanish No. 2 was off a promising start-- attacking the net (5/5 net points won) in the opening set and breaking Nadal's serve twice. However, Nadal found his rhythm in the second set and completely shook Ferrer's confidence in the one-sided third and fourth sets. Ferrer had 30 unforced errors in this stretch while Nadal only had 3.
“Probably yes, I was a little bit lucky that he made a few mistakes to helped me. After the first set I tried to move more with my forehand. He made more mistakes than usual then,” Nadal told the tournament's official website.
With the victory, Nadal advances to the semifinals where he will face Andy Murray of Great Britain.
View the slideshow for more images from the Ferrer-Nadal quarterfinal match in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar