Bitcoin Rallies 80% and More Reasons Investors Should Jump In
By Athena Yenko | June 5, 2014 1:36 PM EST
Bitcoin rallies up to 80 per cent from its April price, allowing investors to find more reasons to jump in with the controversial virtual currency.
"Recently more and more people are realizing how much of a world-changing technology bitcoin is. We will see more and more of this until each bitcoin is at least tens of thousands of dollars each. I think this will happen sooner than any of us expect. The positive news never stops," Bitcoin Jesus Roger Ver, wrote in an email to CNBC.
More reasons to Jump In
- The Bitcoin2014 Conference in Amsterdam
The recently held Bitcoin2014 Conference in Amsterdam was attended by 1,000 people, representing 50 countries. The event had 140 speakers and 35 exhibitors.
"The fact that you have 51 countries and all of them have something positive to say about developments in their countries-maybe this helped show that bitcoin is bigger than just the U.S., China and England," said Micky Malka, a general partner at venture capital firm Ribbit Capital and a board member of conference host Bitcoin Foundation told CNBC.
- Silicon Valley
Over the past months, Silicon Valley showed a significant interest in bitcoin as observed by Malka.
In 2013, venture investors were drawing bitcoin funding of $1 million or $2 million on average. At present, funding at Silicon Valley is already exceeding $20 million.
"(There is) momentum of serious committed entrepreneurs diving into building something with this technology. Venture investors are backing them and really starting to believe we can improve people's lives," Malka added
- Dish and rapper Curtis
Dish Network, a satellite TV company had recently became the largest company to accept bitcoin payments.
Surprisingly, Rapper Curtis Jackson (50 Cent) announced acceptance of Bitcoin for purchases of his latest album Animal Ambition.
- $600 Threshold Crossed
On May 30, bitcoin share price crossed the $600 threshold, jumping over 7 per cent within 24 hours and 34 per cent just within a month, according to data from Coindesk.
The currency was able to reverse trading below its 50-day moving price - a bullish technical indicator of where the currency is moving.
There had also been a significant increase in USD trading volume. From May 1 to 18, there were 16,000 tradings on bitcoin; by May 19 to 26, trading more than doubled to over 41,000 on average of day to day trading activities.
- Apple's revision of its App Store Review Guidelines
Following Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, the company revised its App Store Review Guidelines with section 11.17 as follows:
"Apps may facilitate transmission of approved virtual currencies provided that they do so in compliance with all state and federal laws for the territories in which the app functions."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family