Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce Foresees Higher Airfares
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 5, 2014 9:12 AM EST
No new planes will be added to Qantas Airways' existing fleet as the company embarked on saving measures that will push back the scheduled deliveries of eight Airbus A380s to 2019 at the latest.
He reckoned that underlying growth in the market is between 4 per cent and 5 per cent annually, which in the previous years was 8 per cent.
He explained, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "What that has meant is roughly for every percentage over the demand that meant a 1 percentage yield fall ... And that is why our yields have been down by about 4 per cent."
While Joyce warned of higher air fares, he said Qantas would still offer discounted fares, but there would be fewer such offers if the air carrier is comfortably filling its seats.
He pointed out that domestic fares have actually gone down by 21.6 per cent in the last 10 years and are considered extremely low.
Joyce said at the yearly gathering of the International Air Transport Association in Doha, Qatar, that Qantas aims to acquire a 65 per cent domestic market share so it could make the best offer to corporate clients. It currently accounts for 63 per cent, although its share of the corporate market is higher at 80 per cent.
As part of the Flying Roo's $2-billion cost-cutting initiative spread over 3 years, Qantas exited from the unpopular Perth-Singapore route due to competition from budget carrier Scoot and rescheduled its Melbourne-Dubai-London trips to free its A380 jet for use in the Sydney-Dallas route.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia