Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce Foresees Higher Airfares
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 5, 2014 9:12 AM EST
No new planes will be added to Qantas Airways' existing fleet as the company embarked on saving measures that will push back the scheduled deliveries of eight Airbus A380s to 2019 at the latest.
He reckoned that underlying growth in the market is between 4 per cent and 5 per cent annually, which in the previous years was 8 per cent.
He explained, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "What that has meant is roughly for every percentage over the demand that meant a 1 percentage yield fall ... And that is why our yields have been down by about 4 per cent."
While Joyce warned of higher air fares, he said Qantas would still offer discounted fares, but there would be fewer such offers if the air carrier is comfortably filling its seats.
He pointed out that domestic fares have actually gone down by 21.6 per cent in the last 10 years and are considered extremely low.
Joyce said at the yearly gathering of the International Air Transport Association in Doha, Qatar, that Qantas aims to acquire a 65 per cent domestic market share so it could make the best offer to corporate clients. It currently accounts for 63 per cent, although its share of the corporate market is higher at 80 per cent.
As part of the Flying Roo's $2-billion cost-cutting initiative spread over 3 years, Qantas exited from the unpopular Perth-Singapore route due to competition from budget carrier Scoot and rescheduled its Melbourne-Dubai-London trips to free its A380 jet for use in the Sydney-Dallas route.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS