Aussie Researcher Gets $100,000 Award from Gates Foundation to Develop Condom That Feels Like Skin
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 5, 2014 8:51 AM EST
Take-up rates of condoms is still relatively low because many men find the rubber sheath that cover their penis affecting their sexual pleasure during intimate moments with their wives, girlfriends or partners.
To address that problem, often compared to wearing a raincoat while taking a bath, University of Wollongong biomedical engineer Robert Gorkin has designed a condom using a material that feels like skin, not like the rubbery feel of current models, reports The Sydney Morning Herald.
In crafting a mould for the prototype, he had to endure the embarrassing experience of visiting sex shops and buying dildoes to find out the best materials that could withstand certain temperatures and other things.
One shop owner have him a puzzled look, Gorkin recalled.
His condom is moving one step closer to production since on Wednesday, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation awarded Gorkin a $100,000 grant to further develop his design. The Gates Foundation launched in 2013 an initiative for better condom designs to help combat sexually transmitted diseases and control population.
Gorkin said he would use a material called tough hydrogels which is a network of long-chain polymers embedded with water to make it super strong while being remarkably elastic. The material would allow integration of lubricants and drugs and be biodegradable, avoiding latex allergies.
Sina Naficy, a materials engineer and member of Gorkin's team in the university, compared the hydrogels to a wet, soft, squishy material similar to body tissue which would address the perceived lack of sensation on the penis for condoms made of latex.
Gorkin said, "We need to design condoms that men want to use because they increase sexual pleasure."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best