Apple Inc. Top 5 in 2014 Fortune 500 Companies; AAPL Stock Bounces Back After WWDC Fall
By Reissa Su | June 4, 2014 10:45 PM EST
Apple Inc. continues its award-winning streak climbing one spot higher in the 2014 Fortune 500 rankings. The company surpassed Texas oil and gas Phillips 66 in the latest edition of the prestigious list.
The Apple Inc. logo is displayed onstage before a product unveiling event last Oct. 4 at the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.
Reports cited Apple is the only company from the technology sector to have made it to the Top 15. Hewlett-Packard landed in 17th place and was the best performance for a Silicon Valley company.
Apple earned $170 billion in total revenue for 2013, which is more than the revenues recorded by Boeing and Microsoft combined. Fortune said Apple's net sales continue to climb as the tech giant pushes more digital content and sells more iPhones to customers. But Fortune noted the growing market share of Android phones adding Apple might feel the pressure.
Apple Stock Bounces Back
Apple shares have bounced back after the usual drop in the recently concluded annual Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) on June 2. The stock fell by 10 percent during the opening day of WWDC, including S&P 100 index ETF, according to reports.
As expected, Apple stock bounced back to 9 points higher. Analysts said the most likely reason was Apple's announcement of the upcoming iOS 8 and new OSX Yosemite. Also, Apple did not announce any new hardware. But the new product launchings are expected in September.
Katy Huberty at Morgan Stanley has a $690 price target for Apple's "overweight" stock while Rod Hall at JP Morgan issues a $623 price target due to iOS and OSX platform enhancements and feature additions following WWDC.
Brian Marshall at ISI tags Apple stock as a "buy" with a $675 price target while Brian White at Cantor Fitzgerald sets a price target of $777.
White said although new Mac devices were announced in WWDC, Apple had rolled out a major update to OSX known as Yosemite. He added the new update will significantly improve the platform with a new user interface.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display