Apple Inc. Top 5 in 2014 Fortune 500 Companies; AAPL Stock Bounces Back After WWDC Fall
By Reissa Su | June 4, 2014 10:45 PM EST
Apple Inc. continues its award-winning streak climbing one spot higher in the 2014 Fortune 500 rankings. The company surpassed Texas oil and gas Phillips 66 in the latest edition of the prestigious list.
The Apple Inc. logo is displayed onstage before a product unveiling event last Oct. 4 at the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.
Reports cited Apple is the only company from the technology sector to have made it to the Top 15. Hewlett-Packard landed in 17th place and was the best performance for a Silicon Valley company.
Apple earned $170 billion in total revenue for 2013, which is more than the revenues recorded by Boeing and Microsoft combined. Fortune said Apple's net sales continue to climb as the tech giant pushes more digital content and sells more iPhones to customers. But Fortune noted the growing market share of Android phones adding Apple might feel the pressure.
Apple Stock Bounces Back
Apple shares have bounced back after the usual drop in the recently concluded annual Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) on June 2. The stock fell by 10 percent during the opening day of WWDC, including S&P 100 index ETF, according to reports.
As expected, Apple stock bounced back to 9 points higher. Analysts said the most likely reason was Apple's announcement of the upcoming iOS 8 and new OSX Yosemite. Also, Apple did not announce any new hardware. But the new product launchings are expected in September.
Katy Huberty at Morgan Stanley has a $690 price target for Apple's "overweight" stock while Rod Hall at JP Morgan issues a $623 price target due to iOS and OSX platform enhancements and feature additions following WWDC.
Brian Marshall at ISI tags Apple stock as a "buy" with a $675 price target while Brian White at Cantor Fitzgerald sets a price target of $777.
White said although new Mac devices were announced in WWDC, Apple had rolled out a major update to OSX known as Yosemite. He added the new update will significantly improve the platform with a new user interface.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones