Straight Out of Jurassic Park: Dino-robot Beats Usain Bolt Speed
By Silvana Peters | June 4, 2014 10:22 PM EST
Usain Bolt, the world's fastest man, was recently bested by a robotic dinosaur.
The robot Raptor, a two-legged creation developed by the scientists of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), has designed the tiny robot to run up to speeds of 28.85 mph, a speed faster than Jamaican superstar sprinter and Olympic champion Usain Bolt whose personal best tops at 27.44 mph.
Inspired by the velociraptor dinosaur, "isn't quite as fast as the robot, Cheetah, developed by researchers at Boston Dynamics, but it can run at close to the same speed, in two legs rather than four," The Liberty Voice reported.
The Raptor is compact and light-weight being only 3 kg or 6.5 lbs. It's defining factor is in its "tail" that keeps it balanced with legs made out of composite material with one motor per leg while its feet is made of carbon-fiber prosthetic blades and for power, it's Achilles tendons use springs.
Apparently, the robot hit the speed of 48 kph but the official top speed recorded by the scientists is pegged at 46 kph because it remained relatively stable at that pace. The world's fastest robot still remains with Boston Dynamic's Cheetah as it gallops north of 29 mph, although it does use four legs.
The Raptor was inspired by the velociraptor, a predator ancient dinosaur, which runs at high speeds to chase its prey before shredding it for consumption.
Currently, the Raptor, like cheetah, only runs on treadmills and uses an attached beam to prevent run-offs. But while it is still in its prototype or initial stage, the KAIST team plans to make the robot capable of running in other surfaces.
Bolt may still win if some experts are correct. The robots are attached to the railings that keep them upright. Humans have a slight advantage during a foot race. See the video of the KAIST raptor in action here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?