Android 4.5, 5.0 vs. iOS 8: Top Things on How New Android OS Can Beat iOS 8 and iPhone 6
By Ryan Inoyori | June 4, 2014 2:07 PM EST
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update has fixed most bugs and improved the user experience for Android devices but it may not beat the brand-new improvements on iOS 8. So how Android 4.5/5.0 will be able to match iOS 8 with issues on defragmentation, bloatware and communication?
iOS 8 improved the iMessage that allow users to send photos and videos using the Internet than counters Google's Hangouts app. However, iMessage is not as friendly as Hangouts for it is only available for iOS devices.
Google Hangouts can work with your Android smartphone or tablet and desktop or laptop computers using a Google account.
Android does not need to implement exclusivity as the OS already supports cross-platform apps. BlackBerry Messenger, KakaoTalk, Line, WhatsApp, WeChat and Viber can allow you to contact users with their respective accounts instead of the device type.
Moreover, you can use other chat clients which normally work on a computer such as MIRC and Skype for Windows.
Android Silver Program
Fragmentation is the main issue on Android due to several manufacturers producing different screen sizes and hardware components. Android Silver is the new project Google plans to ultimately defrag the mobile OS.
Instead of producing personalised device line such as Nexus, Android Silver will become in charge to take control over the system. According to Android Police, its implementation will define the standards and requirements for each manufacturer when producing Android devices.
It will allow Google to take control on every Android device available in the market using the software support of Android Silver. If it works, it may allow the company to push updates and deliver separate software support for those who cannot upgrade the firmware of their devices.
Enhancements on Cloud Storage and Sharing
Android's open-source approach should not be ignored when compared to iOS 8's sharing capacity. Users are given the free will to modify their devices instead limiting the availability. You can always share and use the Cloud Storage on your Android device by downloading apps from the Play Store.
1. Message Syncing: Get AirDroid to allow your computer or laptop to monitor the messaging application and access data files wirelessly.
2. Google Drive: Use the free storage or simply utilise vital features such as documents, spreadsheets and presentations online.
3. Sharing Contents: Download apps such as Media Server and share the contents to SmartTVs and even PlayStation.
4. Wireless Printing: With Android 4.4.2 KitKat, you can now print documents and emails on compatible printers such as HP ePrinters.
Unification of Google Services
Google is now working with Project Hera to unify the user interface of Android OS, Search and Chrome. Moreover, HTML 5 support will become a part of Android 4.0 running devices to enable multitasking windows and help the transition from desktop to mobile.
Once enabled, it may allow users to access almost every service from Android and Chrome at the same time. Google Search will become more integrated with Google Now on mobile to make sure your searches and cards are present when using mobile or desktop.
Additionally, Project Hera is also aiming for a user interface revamped on all Google Services including Android. User interface revamped such as themes and icons will affect across Android, Chrome and Search.
User-Friendly Ecosystem and Experience
No matter what brand of Android device you use, you can access the most important apps and services.
1. Google Play Store: Main store for all apps and multimedia contents. You can download free and paid apps.
2. Play Movies: Although running in beta version, you can now rent or purchase the latest movies.
3. Play Books: Get free or paid book titles and magazines.
4. Play Apps: All the apps from productivity to gaming and available for free or paid versions.
There are also other features as well available on your device which can customise user experience that has been limited by iOS.
1. Launcher and UI: Download the best launcher replacements and user interface from the Play Store.
2. Dialler and Messaging Alternatives: You can get new dialler and messaging apps with extras to modify your messaging experience.
3. Set Your Own Tones: Use the audio or music file you want as your ringtone, alarm or message tone.
4. Go Advance: Root and gain administrative access to control the CPU, RAM and other system features.
5. Overhaul: Install customised firmware from developers to get your device a makeover.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date