Australia Logs 1.1% GDP Growth in Q1 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 4, 2014 1:38 PM EST
World economy shows signs of growth, according to economists polled by Thomson Reuters.
With the expansion, the country's yearly growth rate the past 12 months to March is 3.5 per cent, said the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The bureau explained the unexpected growth to the mining, financial and insurance services and the construction boom fuelled by the Reserve Bank of Australia's sustained low interest rate policy.
Economists were expecting a lower 0.9 per cent Q1 GDP growth rate. The projected yearly growth rate is 2.75 per cent for the current financial year and 2.5 per cent for the next financial year.
Commenting on the surprise numbers, Treasurer Joe Hockey said, "They prove that our economy is resilient - we have a very solid foundation for future growth.
He added, "But as I've said on may occasions future growth must be earned."
The 3.5 per cent annual growth rate means that the Australian economy is expanding faster compared to the economies of the U.S., UK or New Zealand on an annualised basis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions