Australia Logs 1.1% GDP Growth in Q1 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 4, 2014 1:38 PM EST
World economy shows signs of growth, according to economists polled by Thomson Reuters.
With the expansion, the country's yearly growth rate the past 12 months to March is 3.5 per cent, said the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The bureau explained the unexpected growth to the mining, financial and insurance services and the construction boom fuelled by the Reserve Bank of Australia's sustained low interest rate policy.
Economists were expecting a lower 0.9 per cent Q1 GDP growth rate. The projected yearly growth rate is 2.75 per cent for the current financial year and 2.5 per cent for the next financial year.
Commenting on the surprise numbers, Treasurer Joe Hockey said, "They prove that our economy is resilient - we have a very solid foundation for future growth.
He added, "But as I've said on may occasions future growth must be earned."
The 3.5 per cent annual growth rate means that the Australian economy is expanding faster compared to the economies of the U.S., UK or New Zealand on an annualised basis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide