Australia Logs 1.1% GDP Growth in Q1 2014
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 4, 2014 1:38 PM EST
World economy shows signs of growth, according to economists polled by Thomson Reuters.
With the expansion, the country's yearly growth rate the past 12 months to March is 3.5 per cent, said the Australian Bureau of Statistics. The bureau explained the unexpected growth to the mining, financial and insurance services and the construction boom fuelled by the Reserve Bank of Australia's sustained low interest rate policy.
Economists were expecting a lower 0.9 per cent Q1 GDP growth rate. The projected yearly growth rate is 2.75 per cent for the current financial year and 2.5 per cent for the next financial year.
Commenting on the surprise numbers, Treasurer Joe Hockey said, "They prove that our economy is resilient - we have a very solid foundation for future growth.
He added, "But as I've said on may occasions future growth must be earned."
The 3.5 per cent annual growth rate means that the Australian economy is expanding faster compared to the economies of the U.S., UK or New Zealand on an annualised basis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch