'Slender Man' Myth Inspires Wisconsin Tween Girls to Stab Friend 19 Times
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 4, 2014 1:27 PM EST
Two tween girls from Wisconsin, U.S., have been arrested for allegedly stabbing their friend 19 times in a bid to please and prove their loyalty to an online horror fictional character named Slender Man.
Slender Man, invented in 2009 by a user on an online forum, is described as an online ghost story of a ghoulish child killer.
The girls, Morgan E. Geyser and Anissa E. Weier, told police they were acting as Slender Man proxies when they stabbed their friend 19 times in Waukesha, Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. They said the attempted murder was a dedication to the online fictional character so they can enter his mansion, which they believed was located in the Nicolet National Forest.
"It's troubling when a person lashes out in anger," Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "It's more troubling when they lash out in cold blood," he added.
"It's a very shocking incident. There's no two ways about it," Schimel stated.
Charged as adults, both girls (video here) face first-degree attempted homicide. If convicted, they each face up to 65 years imprisonment. A bail was set for $500,000 cash per child.
Based on criminal complaint records, Geyser and Weier had been planning since December 2013 to kill their friend. The opportunity came in a park on Saturday morning, after a slumber party. The two girls then lured their victim into a wooded area in Waukesha where they stabbed her 19 times to her arms, legs and torso.
Thinking their friend was already dead, Geyser and Weier left her. The victim, who will remain unidentified, was still breathing and managed to crawl out of the woods.
The victim was eventually discovered by a bicyclist, lying on a sidewalk. Doctors said she's lucky to be alive because one stab attempt missed a major artery near her heart by a millimeter. She's been declared in a stable condition on Monday.
One of the girls told police Slender Man visits her in her dreams and that he can read her mind and teleport.
"It's extremely disturbing as a parent and as chief of police," the AP quoted Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack at a news conference.
Geyser and Weier discovered Slender Man on "CreepyPasta," a Web site which Slender Man is said to lead.
"The site is devoted to scary tales and old legends of horror to which users can submit their own stories. The tales involving Slender Man describe him as a lanky man with a blank face who wears a suit and attacks children from his home, which is generally located in suburban woods," Guardian Liberty Voice reported.
Immediately on Tuesday, the administrator of www.creepypasta.com issued a lengthy statement. It expressed condolences for everyone involved, but stressed the site does not condone or encourage violence in any way.
"It's hard to justify pinning blame on an entire genre of writing."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS