'Slender Man' Myth Inspires Wisconsin Tween Girls to Stab Friend 19 Times
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 4, 2014 1:27 PM EST
Two tween girls from Wisconsin, U.S., have been arrested for allegedly stabbing their friend 19 times in a bid to please and prove their loyalty to an online horror fictional character named Slender Man.
Slender Man, invented in 2009 by a user on an online forum, is described as an online ghost story of a ghoulish child killer.
The girls, Morgan E. Geyser and Anissa E. Weier, told police they were acting as Slender Man proxies when they stabbed their friend 19 times in Waukesha, Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. They said the attempted murder was a dedication to the online fictional character so they can enter his mansion, which they believed was located in the Nicolet National Forest.
"It's troubling when a person lashes out in anger," Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "It's more troubling when they lash out in cold blood," he added.
"It's a very shocking incident. There's no two ways about it," Schimel stated.
Charged as adults, both girls (video here) face first-degree attempted homicide. If convicted, they each face up to 65 years imprisonment. A bail was set for $500,000 cash per child.
Based on criminal complaint records, Geyser and Weier had been planning since December 2013 to kill their friend. The opportunity came in a park on Saturday morning, after a slumber party. The two girls then lured their victim into a wooded area in Waukesha where they stabbed her 19 times to her arms, legs and torso.
Thinking their friend was already dead, Geyser and Weier left her. The victim, who will remain unidentified, was still breathing and managed to crawl out of the woods.
The victim was eventually discovered by a bicyclist, lying on a sidewalk. Doctors said she's lucky to be alive because one stab attempt missed a major artery near her heart by a millimeter. She's been declared in a stable condition on Monday.
One of the girls told police Slender Man visits her in her dreams and that he can read her mind and teleport.
"It's extremely disturbing as a parent and as chief of police," the AP quoted Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack at a news conference.
Geyser and Weier discovered Slender Man on "CreepyPasta," a Web site which Slender Man is said to lead.
"The site is devoted to scary tales and old legends of horror to which users can submit their own stories. The tales involving Slender Man describe him as a lanky man with a blank face who wears a suit and attacks children from his home, which is generally located in suburban woods," Guardian Liberty Voice reported.
Immediately on Tuesday, the administrator of www.creepypasta.com issued a lengthy statement. It expressed condolences for everyone involved, but stressed the site does not condone or encourage violence in any way.
"It's hard to justify pinning blame on an entire genre of writing."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date