Aviation Week Names Rex as Australia’s Best Performing Airline & 5th in Global List; Qantas in 50th Place
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 4, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Australian air carrier Regional Express (Rex) was named on Monday the best performing airline in the country during the Aviation Week and Space Technology's yearly Top Performing Airlines awards.
Rex placed fifth overall in the global top 10 best performing airlines list based on financial health, earnings performance, capital efficiency and business model performance, reported The Australian.
Australian flag carrier Qantas was only 50th place in the global list, while Tiger was on 59th place and Virgin Australia 65th. For Rex, it was the sixth straight year that it secured the highest ranking among regional carriers.
However, when airlines were ranked based on those with revenues greater than $6 billion, Qantas finished 17th of 23. For the $2 billion-$6 billion group, Virgin Australia was 22nd out of 24, while for the $250 million-$2 billion category, Rex was 3rd and Tiger was 19th of 20.
Rex has a fleet of over 40 Saab 340 jets that offer 1,300 weekly trips to 36 destinations across New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Queensland.
Commenting on the company's recognition, Rex Executive Chairman Lim Kim Hai said, "While the Rex Group's profit have significantly declined in the past two years, Rex's strong fundamental have enabled it to maintain its placed amongst the best performing airlines in the world."
Below is the complete list of the top 10 best performing airlines.
1. Copa Holdings (Panama)
2. Allegiant Travel Co (U.S.)
3. Spirit Airlines (U.S.)
5. Regional Express (Australia)
6. EasyJet (UK)
7. Aegean Airlines (Greece)
8. Alaska Air Group (US)
9. WestJet Airlines (Canada)
10. Ryanair Holdings (Ireland).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015