Aviation Week Names Rex as Australia’s Best Performing Airline & 5th in Global List; Qantas in 50th Place
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 4, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Australian air carrier Regional Express (Rex) was named on Monday the best performing airline in the country during the Aviation Week and Space Technology's yearly Top Performing Airlines awards.
Rex placed fifth overall in the global top 10 best performing airlines list based on financial health, earnings performance, capital efficiency and business model performance, reported The Australian.
Australian flag carrier Qantas was only 50th place in the global list, while Tiger was on 59th place and Virgin Australia 65th. For Rex, it was the sixth straight year that it secured the highest ranking among regional carriers.
However, when airlines were ranked based on those with revenues greater than $6 billion, Qantas finished 17th of 23. For the $2 billion-$6 billion group, Virgin Australia was 22nd out of 24, while for the $250 million-$2 billion category, Rex was 3rd and Tiger was 19th of 20.
Rex has a fleet of over 40 Saab 340 jets that offer 1,300 weekly trips to 36 destinations across New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Queensland.
Commenting on the company's recognition, Rex Executive Chairman Lim Kim Hai said, "While the Rex Group's profit have significantly declined in the past two years, Rex's strong fundamental have enabled it to maintain its placed amongst the best performing airlines in the world."
Below is the complete list of the top 10 best performing airlines.
1. Copa Holdings (Panama)
2. Allegiant Travel Co (U.S.)
3. Spirit Airlines (U.S.)
5. Regional Express (Australia)
6. EasyJet (UK)
7. Aegean Airlines (Greece)
8. Alaska Air Group (US)
9. WestJet Airlines (Canada)
10. Ryanair Holdings (Ireland).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown