How Apple's New iOS Health Platform May Save Your Life
By Silvana Peters | June 3, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Apple introduced its new iOS 8 during the Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday and showcased a wide range of new features and developer tools to create new applications. Included in its array of hew applications is the new Health app that gives users an easy-to-read and clear dashboard that provides an overview of one's health and fitness data.
Apple's press release reveals that the app gathers information from different health apps and fitness devices to consolidate all your data in one place. "iOS 8 offers developers the ability for health and fitness apps to communicate with each other. With your permission, each app can use specific information from other apps to provide a more comprehensive way to manage your health and fitness."
With the new Health app, all your health data is in one place making all vital information accessible with a tap. It also provides users with an option to create an emergency card containing all your important health information including your blood type, allergies or medical conditions, to name a few.
To maximise the new platform, the iOS 8 has also been released the HealthKit for developers, allowing them to make useful apps that can access your health data, all of course, with your permission. This app allows users to not only organise their data but also share this data when necessary, to your doctor or in times of emergencies.
The Mayo Clinic was highlighted during the Conference which has an app under development. It seeks to offer people with a more personalised health experience and their data more actionable to support a healthier lifestyle.
"We believe Apple's HealthKit will revolutionize how the health industry interacts with people. We are proud to be ar the forefront of this 9innovative technology with the Mayo Clinic app," said Dr John H. Noseworthy, CEO of the Mayo Clinic.
It's implications on a more digital tracking of individual health shows the way to the future. This new technology may be the first step in our increasing ability to organise and act on heath and wellness.
For more information on the iOS 8's heath features, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery