Australia to Resubmit Bid to Host 2022 World Cup, 27-Man Provisional Squad Announced
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 3, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Australia is reportedly thinking of resubmitting its application to host the 2022 World Cup after the alleged bribery scandal against Qatar's World Cup bid.
The official mascot of the FIFA 2014 World Cup, Fuleco the Armadillo, is seen on a float of Leandro de Itaquera samba school during the first night of the Special Group of the annual Carnival parade in Sao Paulo's Sambadrome February 28, 2014. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker
According to The Score, Football Federation Australia's (FFA) chief executive David Gallop said that he wasn't ruling out the possibility of Australia resubmitting its bid for the 2022 World Cup after Qatar was blasted controversial corruption allegations.
"It's a serious development, they're serious allegations and we're looking to see what the response to that will be," Gallop told a local radio station in Melbourne.
Gallop said that if Qatar's successful bid is rendered null and void and the voting is reopened, Australia might apply again.
"It's too early to say whether that reopens the door of anything that happened a few years ago in terms of Australia's position but it's bit of a 'watch this space' at this stage."
As the sporting world turns its attention to Brazil in anticipation of the 2014 World Cup, Gallop revealed that FFA had long been a part of the investigation. "We've been heavily involved in this now for many months in terms of the investigation that Mr. Garcia is carrying out." Michael Garcia is a U.S. lawyer who reportedly acts the "chief investigator for the sport's world governing body."
Denis Napthine, a politician and a member of the Victorian Legislative Assembly told Theage.com.au that Australia should be ready to host a World Cup tournament. "I would love to see the soccer World Cup come to Australia and I think the MCG and Melbourne would be ready to host an event of that significance," Napthine claimed.
Meanwhile, coach Ange Postecoglou has already announced the 27-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals, Telegraph Sport reported. Will these players be able to fare well with other countries' players?
Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus 8), Matthew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt 1899), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets).
Jason Davidson (Heracles Almelo), Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Ryan McGowan (Shandong Luneng Taishan), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk Hyundai), Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow), Bailey Wright (Preston North End).
Oliver Bozanic (Luzern), Mark Bresciano (Al Gharafa), James Holland (Austria Vienna), Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town), Matthew McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), Tommy Oar (Utrecht), Tommy Rogic (Melbourne Victory), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory), Dario Vidosic (Sion).
Mark Birighitti (Newcastle Jets), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Mitchell Langerak (Borussia Dortmund), Mat Ryan (Club Brugge).
Australia will play Chile on June 13.
For full list of the matches' schedule, visit FIFA.com.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
Georges St-Pierre Snubbed and Left in the Rain Outside a German Night Club; Former Welterweight Titlist Says He's ‘Not Retired' but Questions Still Loom Over UFC Return
Anderson Silva Targets Return in the Octagon Ring in Early 2015; Eyes Potential Fight with Nick Diaz; MMA Fans React on Twitter
Michael Schumacher's Uncertain Future and Lack of Official Updates on His Condition Makes Fans of the 7-Time World Champion ‘Anxious'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery