Australia to Resubmit Bid to Host 2022 World Cup, 27-Man Provisional Squad Announced
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 3, 2014 4:16 PM EST
Australia is reportedly thinking of resubmitting its application to host the 2022 World Cup after the alleged bribery scandal against Qatar's World Cup bid.
The official mascot of the FIFA 2014 World Cup, Fuleco the Armadillo, is seen on a float of Leandro de Itaquera samba school during the first night of the Special Group of the annual Carnival parade in Sao Paulo's Sambadrome February 28, 2014. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker
According to The Score, Football Federation Australia's (FFA) chief executive David Gallop said that he wasn't ruling out the possibility of Australia resubmitting its bid for the 2022 World Cup after Qatar was blasted controversial corruption allegations.
"It's a serious development, they're serious allegations and we're looking to see what the response to that will be," Gallop told a local radio station in Melbourne.
Gallop said that if Qatar's successful bid is rendered null and void and the voting is reopened, Australia might apply again.
"It's too early to say whether that reopens the door of anything that happened a few years ago in terms of Australia's position but it's bit of a 'watch this space' at this stage."
As the sporting world turns its attention to Brazil in anticipation of the 2014 World Cup, Gallop revealed that FFA had long been a part of the investigation. "We've been heavily involved in this now for many months in terms of the investigation that Mr. Garcia is carrying out." Michael Garcia is a U.S. lawyer who reportedly acts the "chief investigator for the sport's world governing body."
Denis Napthine, a politician and a member of the Victorian Legislative Assembly told Theage.com.au that Australia should be ready to host a World Cup tournament. "I would love to see the soccer World Cup come to Australia and I think the MCG and Melbourne would be ready to host an event of that significance," Napthine claimed.
Meanwhile, coach Ange Postecoglou has already announced the 27-man provisional squad for the World Cup finals, Telegraph Sport reported. Will these players be able to fare well with other countries' players?
Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus 8), Matthew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt 1899), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets).
Jason Davidson (Heracles Almelo), Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Ryan McGowan (Shandong Luneng Taishan), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk Hyundai), Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow), Bailey Wright (Preston North End).
Oliver Bozanic (Luzern), Mark Bresciano (Al Gharafa), James Holland (Austria Vienna), Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town), Matthew McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), Tommy Oar (Utrecht), Tommy Rogic (Melbourne Victory), James Troisi (Melbourne Victory), Dario Vidosic (Sion).
Mark Birighitti (Newcastle Jets), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Mitchell Langerak (Borussia Dortmund), Mat Ryan (Club Brugge).
Australia will play Chile on June 13.
For full list of the matches' schedule, visit FIFA.com.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
Georges St-Pierre Snubbed and Left in the Rain Outside a German Night Club; Former Welterweight Titlist Says He's ‘Not Retired' but Questions Still Loom Over UFC Return
Anderson Silva Targets Return in the Octagon Ring in Early 2015; Eyes Potential Fight with Nick Diaz; MMA Fans React on Twitter
Michael Schumacher's Uncertain Future and Lack of Official Updates on His Condition Makes Fans of the 7-Time World Champion ‘Anxious'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013