Kate Middleton's Nurse Suicide Prank: Mel Greig Says Royal Prank Made her Feel Like the Worst Person
By Sonalee singh | June 3, 2014 4:13 PM EST
In December 2012, Australian co-hosts Mel Greig and Michael Christian played a royal prank when Kate Middleton was hospitalized for morning sickness. The hosts impersonated Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles and called a nurse at the hospital. The prank went global and three days later the nurse hung herself to death.
The nurse's name was Jacintha Saldanha and she left three suicide notes. In one of the suicide notes she wrote: "I hold the radio Australians Mel Greig and Michael Christian responsible for this act. Please make them pay my mortgage".
In her recent interview on Seven's Sunday Night, Greig admitted that she felt ashamed of herself for the fact that the prank was played, reported Kate Middleton suicide, Nurse scandal, Mel Greig and Michael Christian Radio Prank Scandal, " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">News.com.au
"I should have tried harder not to let that prank call air. It never should have aired."
Greig further threw light on the royal prank and suggested that few minutes after the prank was recorded, she had requested her bosses to disguise the voice of the nurse and stop the prank from going on air, but reportedly her request was not considered.
"It just didn't seem right that we would broadcast that without permission," said Greig further about the prank in her interview, adding," I just remember myself laughing thinking how funny it was because it had worked. And then smart Mel kicked in soon after that going, 'hang on this isn't right'. I feel disgusted in myself listening back to it."
Greig came to know about Saldanha's death from the latter's boyfriend and later Saldana's mother started receiving death threats.
Greif further suggested in her interview that she felt like a worst person alive. After the prank scandal, Greig remained unemployed for 15-months, reported News.Com.au.
Greig took to Twitter on June 1 after the interview was aired to express her gratitude for letting the world know her side of story.
— Mel Greig (@MelGreigRadio) June 1, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon