Kate Middleton's Nurse Suicide Prank: Mel Greig Says Royal Prank Made her Feel Like the Worst Person
By Sonalee singh | June 3, 2014 4:13 PM EST
In December 2012, Australian co-hosts Mel Greig and Michael Christian played a royal prank when Kate Middleton was hospitalized for morning sickness. The hosts impersonated Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles and called a nurse at the hospital. The prank went global and three days later the nurse hung herself to death.
The nurse's name was Jacintha Saldanha and she left three suicide notes. In one of the suicide notes she wrote: "I hold the radio Australians Mel Greig and Michael Christian responsible for this act. Please make them pay my mortgage".
In her recent interview on Seven's Sunday Night, Greig admitted that she felt ashamed of herself for the fact that the prank was played, reported Kate Middleton suicide, Nurse scandal, Mel Greig and Michael Christian Radio Prank Scandal, " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">News.com.au
"I should have tried harder not to let that prank call air. It never should have aired."
Greig further threw light on the royal prank and suggested that few minutes after the prank was recorded, she had requested her bosses to disguise the voice of the nurse and stop the prank from going on air, but reportedly her request was not considered.
"It just didn't seem right that we would broadcast that without permission," said Greig further about the prank in her interview, adding," I just remember myself laughing thinking how funny it was because it had worked. And then smart Mel kicked in soon after that going, 'hang on this isn't right'. I feel disgusted in myself listening back to it."
Greig came to know about Saldanha's death from the latter's boyfriend and later Saldana's mother started receiving death threats.
Greif further suggested in her interview that she felt like a worst person alive. After the prank scandal, Greig remained unemployed for 15-months, reported News.Com.au.
Greig took to Twitter on June 1 after the interview was aired to express her gratitude for letting the world know her side of story.
— Mel Greig (@MelGreigRadio) June 1, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money