Kate Middleton's Nurse Suicide Prank: Mel Greig Says Royal Prank Made her Feel Like the Worst Person
By Sonalee singh | June 3, 2014 4:13 PM EST
In December 2012, Australian co-hosts Mel Greig and Michael Christian played a royal prank when Kate Middleton was hospitalized for morning sickness. The hosts impersonated Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles and called a nurse at the hospital. The prank went global and three days later the nurse hung herself to death.
The nurse's name was Jacintha Saldanha and she left three suicide notes. In one of the suicide notes she wrote: "I hold the radio Australians Mel Greig and Michael Christian responsible for this act. Please make them pay my mortgage".
In her recent interview on Seven's Sunday Night, Greig admitted that she felt ashamed of herself for the fact that the prank was played, reported Kate Middleton suicide, Nurse scandal, Mel Greig and Michael Christian Radio Prank Scandal, " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">News.com.au
"I should have tried harder not to let that prank call air. It never should have aired."
Greig further threw light on the royal prank and suggested that few minutes after the prank was recorded, she had requested her bosses to disguise the voice of the nurse and stop the prank from going on air, but reportedly her request was not considered.
"It just didn't seem right that we would broadcast that without permission," said Greig further about the prank in her interview, adding," I just remember myself laughing thinking how funny it was because it had worked. And then smart Mel kicked in soon after that going, 'hang on this isn't right'. I feel disgusted in myself listening back to it."
Greig came to know about Saldanha's death from the latter's boyfriend and later Saldana's mother started receiving death threats.
Greif further suggested in her interview that she felt like a worst person alive. After the prank scandal, Greig remained unemployed for 15-months, reported News.Com.au.
Greig took to Twitter on June 1 after the interview was aired to express her gratitude for letting the world know her side of story.
— Mel Greig (@MelGreigRadio) June 1, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal