More Airlines Cancel Bali Flights Due to Continuous Ash Flow from Indonesian Volcano
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 3, 2014 3:09 PM EST
The Sangeang Api Volcano in Sumbawa Island, Indonesia, continued to spew ashes on Tuesday since its initial eruption on Friday, causing the cancellation of more Bali flights as ash plume covers the regional sky.
Ash rises after a mild eruption of Mayon Volcano in Legazpi city in central Philippines.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Jetstar cancelled two flights on Monday - the 5:10 am trip from Perth to Denpasar and the 7:30 am flight to Singapore via Denpasar.
Meanwhile, a Virgin Australia flight from Brisbane to Denpasar, slated to leave 10:10 am on Monday, was delayed until midday.
Virgin said it would continue to monitor the situation and try to contact all passengers with affected flight bookings. The air carrier also encouraged travelers to always check the company's Web page for its flight status.
Mount Sangeang's last confirmed eruption was in 1997.
Airlines avoid flying through areas with ash fall because it causes abrasion of engine parts, the airframe and parts protruding from the jet and possible clogging of fuel and cooling systems.
In June 1982, a British Airways 747 suffered severe damage when all four engines flamed out when it encountered ask from Indonesia's Mount Galunggung and descended to 12,000 feet before the pilot restarted some engines and had an emergency landing in Jakarta, according to the Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Center.
Besides the risk to safety, volcanic ash has also damaged jets. Since 1982, experts estimate cost of damage due to ashfall to more than $250 million.
As of Monday morning, Grace Legge, the duty forecaster of the Centre, said the volcano was still releasing low levels of plumes, but it was not headed towards Australia's northern coast.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Missing Malaysian Flight MH370: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- Cat-Sized Rat: Chinchilla Believed To Be Extinct 400 Years Ago Has Been Rediscovered In Machu Picchu
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates