More Airlines Cancel Bali Flights Due to Continuous Ash Flow from Indonesian Volcano
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 3, 2014 3:09 PM EST
The Sangeang Api Volcano in Sumbawa Island, Indonesia, continued to spew ashes on Tuesday since its initial eruption on Friday, causing the cancellation of more Bali flights as ash plume covers the regional sky.
Ash rises after a mild eruption of Mayon Volcano in Legazpi city in central Philippines.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Jetstar cancelled two flights on Monday - the 5:10 am trip from Perth to Denpasar and the 7:30 am flight to Singapore via Denpasar.
Meanwhile, a Virgin Australia flight from Brisbane to Denpasar, slated to leave 10:10 am on Monday, was delayed until midday.
Virgin said it would continue to monitor the situation and try to contact all passengers with affected flight bookings. The air carrier also encouraged travelers to always check the company's Web page for its flight status.
Mount Sangeang's last confirmed eruption was in 1997.
Airlines avoid flying through areas with ash fall because it causes abrasion of engine parts, the airframe and parts protruding from the jet and possible clogging of fuel and cooling systems.
In June 1982, a British Airways 747 suffered severe damage when all four engines flamed out when it encountered ask from Indonesia's Mount Galunggung and descended to 12,000 feet before the pilot restarted some engines and had an emergency landing in Jakarta, according to the Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Center.
Besides the risk to safety, volcanic ash has also damaged jets. Since 1982, experts estimate cost of damage due to ashfall to more than $250 million.
As of Monday morning, Grace Legge, the duty forecaster of the Centre, said the volcano was still releasing low levels of plumes, but it was not headed towards Australia's northern coast.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Underwater Robotics Measures Thickness Of Antarctic Sea Ice
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid