More Airlines Cancel Bali Flights Due to Continuous Ash Flow from Indonesian Volcano
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 3, 2014 3:09 PM EST
The Sangeang Api Volcano in Sumbawa Island, Indonesia, continued to spew ashes on Tuesday since its initial eruption on Friday, causing the cancellation of more Bali flights as ash plume covers the regional sky.
Ash rises after a mild eruption of Mayon Volcano in Legazpi city in central Philippines.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Jetstar cancelled two flights on Monday - the 5:10 am trip from Perth to Denpasar and the 7:30 am flight to Singapore via Denpasar.
Meanwhile, a Virgin Australia flight from Brisbane to Denpasar, slated to leave 10:10 am on Monday, was delayed until midday.
Virgin said it would continue to monitor the situation and try to contact all passengers with affected flight bookings. The air carrier also encouraged travelers to always check the company's Web page for its flight status.
Mount Sangeang's last confirmed eruption was in 1997.
Airlines avoid flying through areas with ash fall because it causes abrasion of engine parts, the airframe and parts protruding from the jet and possible clogging of fuel and cooling systems.
In June 1982, a British Airways 747 suffered severe damage when all four engines flamed out when it encountered ask from Indonesia's Mount Galunggung and descended to 12,000 feet before the pilot restarted some engines and had an emergency landing in Jakarta, according to the Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Center.
Besides the risk to safety, volcanic ash has also damaged jets. Since 1982, experts estimate cost of damage due to ashfall to more than $250 million.
As of Monday morning, Grace Legge, the duty forecaster of the Centre, said the volcano was still releasing low levels of plumes, but it was not headed towards Australia's northern coast.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal