'SOA' Charlie Hunnam on 'Fifty Shades of Grey's' Christian Grey: 'It’s heartbreaking not to be able to play him’
By Riza Ornos | June 3, 2014 2:45 PM EST
On the recent Huading Film Awards in Hollywood, "Sons of Anarchy" Charlie Hunnam admits in an interview that its "heartbreaking" not to play the infamous kinky billionaire, Christian Grey. The hunky actor was in Hollywood to receive an award for Best Global Emerging Actor, for his outstanding performance in FX biker drama series and "Pacific Rim," voted by 80 million Chinese fans all over the world.
Heartbroken over Christian Grey, the 34-year-old British actor dropped the role in the early stages for E.L. James bestselling "Fifty Shades of Grey" series film adaptation. Due to his demanding schedules on FX and family issues, the actor had to drop out from film after a month he was cast in the famed role.
"I felt like I had an interesting take on that character and felt like I could have done a good job of playing Christian Grey, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it on in the first place," revealed the SOA actor in an interview with Life & Style on Sunday, June 1.
Hunnam was replaced by another British actor Jamie Dornan who is known for his portrayal as a serial killer in Ireland's TV series "The Fall."
"When you put the time into something like that and a character comes alive in your mind, it's heartbreaking not to be able to play him," added Hunnam. "It was definitely kind of heartbreaking having to say goodbye to that character and not bring it to life."
So when asked what he thinks about his replacement, Hunnam confessed that he is not familiar on Dornan's work but assures fans that director Sam Taylor-Johnson will do a fantastic job. So with her supervision with Jamie, the "Crimson Peak" believes that he will do an outstanding performance.
Now that the movie is done with its production, Hunnam plans to support the kinky film when it hits theaters in February.
"If they invite me to the premiere, I will go and see it there," said Charlie. "If not, I'll go and buy some tickets on opening night."
"Sons of Anarchy" season 7 will return to FX in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'Personal' By Lee Child Tops The New York Times Best Sellers List Of Combined Print And E-Book Fiction For The Week Of Sept. 21, 2014
- ‘Winds of Winter’ Fans' Speculation: Cersei Lannister As Regent
- Top 5 Best-Selling Young Adult Fiction Books For The Week Of Sept. 21, 2014 Including 'If I Stay' By Gayle Forman And ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ By John Green
- Pre-Order Booking Of ‘The Walking Dead’ Star Norman Reedus’ New Book ‘Thanks For All The Niceness’ Is On
- Next ‘Game of Thrones’ Book Releasing Soon