French Open Women's Singles Fourth Round Recap and Quarter Final Matches
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 3, 2014 1:57 PM EST
The women's singles draw at the 2014 French Open in Roland Garros was blown wide open in the first few days as defending champion Serena Williams bowed out in the opening stages and so did her sister, Venus Williams.
Garbine Muguruza of Spain returns a forehand to Serena Williams of the U.S. during their women's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014.
The first round took out former world no. 1 Caroline Wozniacki and former Grand Slam champion Li Na. The Serbian pair of Jelena Jankovic and 2009 winner Ana Ivanovic looked poised to make a bid for the title until Ivanovic fell in the third round and Sara Errani dispatched Jankovic in the fourth.
Garbine Muquruza, who took out Serena Williams in the first round is still going strong and made it to the quarter finals after skipping over home bet Pauline Parmentier. She will have to bring her A-game in the next round as she goes against Maria Sharapova. The 20-year old Spaniard will be looking to seal her reputation as a giant killer as she faces Sharapova.
Sharapova survived a scare from Aussie Sam Stosur who won the first set of their fourth round clash 6-3 before Sharapova can pull back the second set 6-4. With momentum on her side, Sharapova never looked back and blanked Stosur in the third to set a date with Muquruza.
Veteran Svetlana Kuznetsova is out to prove that this year's French Open is not one for the young guns as she makes her way to the quarters and will be going up against fourth seed Simona Halep who has not yet dropped a set in the competition so far.
Halep, the highest seed still in the running is favoured to take her maiden Grand Slam win in Roland Garros this year. She, above anyone else will be hoping for the same but she still as several hurdles ahead of her beginning with Kuznetsova and a possible rematch of the Madrid Masters final which she lost to Sharapova in three sets.
Fourth Round Results:
Garbine Muquruza def. Pauline Parmentier 6-4,6-2
Maria Sharapova (7) def. Samantha Stosur (19) 3-6,6-4,6-0
Carla Suarez Navarro (14) def. Ajla Tomljanovic 6-3,6-3
Eugenie Bouchard (18) def. Angelique Kerber (8) 6-1,6-2
Svetlana Kuznetsova (27) def. Lucie Safarova (23) 6-3,6-4
Simona Halep (4) def. Sloane Stephens (15) 6-4,6-3
Sara Errani (10) def. Jelena Jankovic (6) 7-6(5), 6-2
Andrea Petkovic (28) def. Kiki Bertens 1-6, 6-2,7-5
Quarter Final Matches:
Garbine Muquruza vs. Maria Sharapova
Carla Suarez Navarro vs. Eugenie Bouchard
Svetlana Kuznetsova vs. Simona Halep
Sara Errani vs. Andrea Petkovic
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones