French Open Women's Singles Fourth Round Recap and Quarter Final Matches
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 3, 2014 1:57 PM EST
The women's singles draw at the 2014 French Open in Roland Garros was blown wide open in the first few days as defending champion Serena Williams bowed out in the opening stages and so did her sister, Venus Williams.
Garbine Muguruza of Spain returns a forehand to Serena Williams of the U.S. during their women's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014.
The first round took out former world no. 1 Caroline Wozniacki and former Grand Slam champion Li Na. The Serbian pair of Jelena Jankovic and 2009 winner Ana Ivanovic looked poised to make a bid for the title until Ivanovic fell in the third round and Sara Errani dispatched Jankovic in the fourth.
Garbine Muquruza, who took out Serena Williams in the first round is still going strong and made it to the quarter finals after skipping over home bet Pauline Parmentier. She will have to bring her A-game in the next round as she goes against Maria Sharapova. The 20-year old Spaniard will be looking to seal her reputation as a giant killer as she faces Sharapova.
Sharapova survived a scare from Aussie Sam Stosur who won the first set of their fourth round clash 6-3 before Sharapova can pull back the second set 6-4. With momentum on her side, Sharapova never looked back and blanked Stosur in the third to set a date with Muquruza.
Veteran Svetlana Kuznetsova is out to prove that this year's French Open is not one for the young guns as she makes her way to the quarters and will be going up against fourth seed Simona Halep who has not yet dropped a set in the competition so far.
Halep, the highest seed still in the running is favoured to take her maiden Grand Slam win in Roland Garros this year. She, above anyone else will be hoping for the same but she still as several hurdles ahead of her beginning with Kuznetsova and a possible rematch of the Madrid Masters final which she lost to Sharapova in three sets.
Fourth Round Results:
Garbine Muquruza def. Pauline Parmentier 6-4,6-2
Maria Sharapova (7) def. Samantha Stosur (19) 3-6,6-4,6-0
Carla Suarez Navarro (14) def. Ajla Tomljanovic 6-3,6-3
Eugenie Bouchard (18) def. Angelique Kerber (8) 6-1,6-2
Svetlana Kuznetsova (27) def. Lucie Safarova (23) 6-3,6-4
Simona Halep (4) def. Sloane Stephens (15) 6-4,6-3
Sara Errani (10) def. Jelena Jankovic (6) 7-6(5), 6-2
Andrea Petkovic (28) def. Kiki Bertens 1-6, 6-2,7-5
Quarter Final Matches:
Garbine Muquruza vs. Maria Sharapova
Carla Suarez Navarro vs. Eugenie Bouchard
Svetlana Kuznetsova vs. Simona Halep
Sara Errani vs. Andrea Petkovic
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft