Samsung Confirms Tizen-based Smart TVs with SDK Coming in July
By Naveena Joy | June 3, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Once again, Samsung is proving its existence in the market as a Company which releases smart products.
According to the source, The Next Web, Samsung is preparing itself for the new Tizen Operating System which will be found on a new range of Smart TVs.
The company confirms that it will be launching an SDK (software development kit) next month in July, which allows developers to create apps, games and services for the new platform.
Tizen is a Linux based operating system for devices like smartphones, smart TVs, laptops and smart cameras. Its licensing model involves software that uses a variety of open source licenses that may be incompatible and a proprietary SDK. It aims to offer a consistent user experience across devices. Tizen is a project within the Linux Foundation and is governed by Technical Steering Group (TSG) composed of Samsung and Intel among others.
Samsung has already introduced with the Linux based operating system devices - its Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smartwatches. And with the release of the Beta version of the Samsung TV SDK will give the developers a chance to get hands on experience with the software. Samsung confirms that the Beta includes Smart Interaction feature that enables the use of voice based commands and gesture controls. Also, there will be multi-screen options for compatibility with Samsung's other Tizen products such as its smartphone series- but there is no confirmation on when the sale of these TVs will start.
The tech radar says that the company is hoping to establish its own Apple-like ecosystem where everything plays nice with everything else, without relying on Google.
The Wall Street Journal last month reported that Samsung is getting ready for the launch of its first Tizen smartphones in Russia and India and also hinted on the arrival of smart TV product. The mobile devices are yet to get introduced while the news of smart TV is confirmed but there is no guarantee of its arrival just like that of its mobile devices.
Although, users can expect more news on the Tizen based tellies this week when the Tizen Developers Conference starts
The Tizen TV SDK will be available to download at Samsungforum.com from "early July."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation