Samsung Confirms Tizen-based Smart TVs with SDK Coming in July
By Naveena Joy | June 3, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Once again, Samsung is proving its existence in the market as a Company which releases smart products.
According to the source, The Next Web, Samsung is preparing itself for the new Tizen Operating System which will be found on a new range of Smart TVs.
The company confirms that it will be launching an SDK (software development kit) next month in July, which allows developers to create apps, games and services for the new platform.
Tizen is a Linux based operating system for devices like smartphones, smart TVs, laptops and smart cameras. Its licensing model involves software that uses a variety of open source licenses that may be incompatible and a proprietary SDK. It aims to offer a consistent user experience across devices. Tizen is a project within the Linux Foundation and is governed by Technical Steering Group (TSG) composed of Samsung and Intel among others.
Samsung has already introduced with the Linux based operating system devices - its Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smartwatches. And with the release of the Beta version of the Samsung TV SDK will give the developers a chance to get hands on experience with the software. Samsung confirms that the Beta includes Smart Interaction feature that enables the use of voice based commands and gesture controls. Also, there will be multi-screen options for compatibility with Samsung's other Tizen products such as its smartphone series- but there is no confirmation on when the sale of these TVs will start.
The tech radar says that the company is hoping to establish its own Apple-like ecosystem where everything plays nice with everything else, without relying on Google.
The Wall Street Journal last month reported that Samsung is getting ready for the launch of its first Tizen smartphones in Russia and India and also hinted on the arrival of smart TV product. The mobile devices are yet to get introduced while the news of smart TV is confirmed but there is no guarantee of its arrival just like that of its mobile devices.
Although, users can expect more news on the Tizen based tellies this week when the Tizen Developers Conference starts
The Tizen TV SDK will be available to download at Samsungforum.com from "early July."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown