Samsung Confirms Tizen-based Smart TVs with SDK Coming in July
By Naveena Joy | June 3, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Once again, Samsung is proving its existence in the market as a Company which releases smart products.
According to the source, The Next Web, Samsung is preparing itself for the new Tizen Operating System which will be found on a new range of Smart TVs.
The company confirms that it will be launching an SDK (software development kit) next month in July, which allows developers to create apps, games and services for the new platform.
Tizen is a Linux based operating system for devices like smartphones, smart TVs, laptops and smart cameras. Its licensing model involves software that uses a variety of open source licenses that may be incompatible and a proprietary SDK. It aims to offer a consistent user experience across devices. Tizen is a project within the Linux Foundation and is governed by Technical Steering Group (TSG) composed of Samsung and Intel among others.
Samsung has already introduced with the Linux based operating system devices - its Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smartwatches. And with the release of the Beta version of the Samsung TV SDK will give the developers a chance to get hands on experience with the software. Samsung confirms that the Beta includes Smart Interaction feature that enables the use of voice based commands and gesture controls. Also, there will be multi-screen options for compatibility with Samsung's other Tizen products such as its smartphone series- but there is no confirmation on when the sale of these TVs will start.
The tech radar says that the company is hoping to establish its own Apple-like ecosystem where everything plays nice with everything else, without relying on Google.
The Wall Street Journal last month reported that Samsung is getting ready for the launch of its first Tizen smartphones in Russia and India and also hinted on the arrival of smart TV product. The mobile devices are yet to get introduced while the news of smart TV is confirmed but there is no guarantee of its arrival just like that of its mobile devices.
Although, users can expect more news on the Tizen based tellies this week when the Tizen Developers Conference starts
The Tizen TV SDK will be available to download at Samsungforum.com from "early July."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around