Samsung Confirms Tizen-based Smart TVs with SDK Coming in July
By Naveena Joy | June 3, 2014 1:43 PM EST
Once again, Samsung is proving its existence in the market as a Company which releases smart products.
According to the source, The Next Web, Samsung is preparing itself for the new Tizen Operating System which will be found on a new range of Smart TVs.
The company confirms that it will be launching an SDK (software development kit) next month in July, which allows developers to create apps, games and services for the new platform.
Tizen is a Linux based operating system for devices like smartphones, smart TVs, laptops and smart cameras. Its licensing model involves software that uses a variety of open source licenses that may be incompatible and a proprietary SDK. It aims to offer a consistent user experience across devices. Tizen is a project within the Linux Foundation and is governed by Technical Steering Group (TSG) composed of Samsung and Intel among others.
Samsung has already introduced with the Linux based operating system devices - its Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smartwatches. And with the release of the Beta version of the Samsung TV SDK will give the developers a chance to get hands on experience with the software. Samsung confirms that the Beta includes Smart Interaction feature that enables the use of voice based commands and gesture controls. Also, there will be multi-screen options for compatibility with Samsung's other Tizen products such as its smartphone series- but there is no confirmation on when the sale of these TVs will start.
The tech radar says that the company is hoping to establish its own Apple-like ecosystem where everything plays nice with everything else, without relying on Google.
The Wall Street Journal last month reported that Samsung is getting ready for the launch of its first Tizen smartphones in Russia and India and also hinted on the arrival of smart TV product. The mobile devices are yet to get introduced while the news of smart TV is confirmed but there is no guarantee of its arrival just like that of its mobile devices.
Although, users can expect more news on the Tizen based tellies this week when the Tizen Developers Conference starts
The Tizen TV SDK will be available to download at Samsungforum.com from "early July."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom vs. Nokia Lumia 1020 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand