Noah, Ibaka, George, Paul, Iguodala Named to 2013-2014 NBA All-Defensive First Team
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 1:15 PM EST
The NBA has announced the members of the 2013-2014 All-Defensive Teams led by Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah, who was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year earlier in April.
NBA: Playoffs-Washington Wizards at Chicago Bulls
Joining Noah in the first team are Paul George (Indiana Pacers), Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers), Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) and Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors).
The curious omission from the best defensive five is Miami Heat’s LeBron James, who was named in the first team for five consecutive seasons (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013). James settled for the second team this year joining Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls), Patrick Beverley (Houston Rockets), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs) and Roy Hibbert (Indiana Pacers).
The inclusion of Noah and Butler plus George and Hibbert is of no surprise considering the Bulls and Pacers are two of the teams with the toughest defenses during the season. Chicago held opponents to 91.9 PPG while Indiana to 92.3 PPG for 1st and 2nd best mark, respectively in the regular season.
This is Noah’s second appearance with the All-Defensive First Team after being named in 2013; third time for Paul (2008 and 2012) and Ibaka (2012 and 2013) and first time for George and Iguodala.
Other players who received votes but did not make either team are DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers); Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies); Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) and Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets).
Curiously, James Harden (Houston Rockets) received one first team vote. Harden is considered one of the worst defensive players in the league.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop