Noah, Ibaka, George, Paul, Iguodala Named to 2013-2014 NBA All-Defensive First Team
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 1:15 PM EST
The NBA has announced the members of the 2013-2014 All-Defensive Teams led by Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah, who was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year earlier in April.
NBA: Playoffs-Washington Wizards at Chicago Bulls
Joining Noah in the first team are Paul George (Indiana Pacers), Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers), Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) and Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors).
The curious omission from the best defensive five is Miami Heat’s LeBron James, who was named in the first team for five consecutive seasons (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013). James settled for the second team this year joining Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls), Patrick Beverley (Houston Rockets), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs) and Roy Hibbert (Indiana Pacers).
The inclusion of Noah and Butler plus George and Hibbert is of no surprise considering the Bulls and Pacers are two of the teams with the toughest defenses during the season. Chicago held opponents to 91.9 PPG while Indiana to 92.3 PPG for 1st and 2nd best mark, respectively in the regular season.
This is Noah’s second appearance with the All-Defensive First Team after being named in 2013; third time for Paul (2008 and 2012) and Ibaka (2012 and 2013) and first time for George and Iguodala.
Other players who received votes but did not make either team are DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers); Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies); Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) and Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets).
Curiously, James Harden (Houston Rockets) received one first team vote. Harden is considered one of the worst defensive players in the league.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Believes Wilshere's Performance Against City Not Enough For Man Utd Legend Paul Scholes
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date