Noah, Ibaka, George, Paul, Iguodala Named to 2013-2014 NBA All-Defensive First Team
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 1:15 PM EST
The NBA has announced the members of the 2013-2014 All-Defensive Teams led by Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah, who was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year earlier in April.
NBA: Playoffs-Washington Wizards at Chicago Bulls
Joining Noah in the first team are Paul George (Indiana Pacers), Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers), Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) and Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors).
The curious omission from the best defensive five is Miami Heat’s LeBron James, who was named in the first team for five consecutive seasons (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013). James settled for the second team this year joining Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls), Patrick Beverley (Houston Rockets), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs) and Roy Hibbert (Indiana Pacers).
The inclusion of Noah and Butler plus George and Hibbert is of no surprise considering the Bulls and Pacers are two of the teams with the toughest defenses during the season. Chicago held opponents to 91.9 PPG while Indiana to 92.3 PPG for 1st and 2nd best mark, respectively in the regular season.
This is Noah’s second appearance with the All-Defensive First Team after being named in 2013; third time for Paul (2008 and 2012) and Ibaka (2012 and 2013) and first time for George and Iguodala.
Other players who received votes but did not make either team are DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers); Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies); Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) and Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets).
Curiously, James Harden (Houston Rockets) received one first team vote. Harden is considered one of the worst defensive players in the league.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia