Noah, Ibaka, George, Paul, Iguodala Named to 2013-2014 NBA All-Defensive First Team
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 1:15 PM EST
The NBA has announced the members of the 2013-2014 All-Defensive Teams led by Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah, who was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year earlier in April.
NBA: Playoffs-Washington Wizards at Chicago Bulls
Joining Noah in the first team are Paul George (Indiana Pacers), Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers), Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder) and Andre Iguodala (Golden State Warriors).
The curious omission from the best defensive five is Miami Heat’s LeBron James, who was named in the first team for five consecutive seasons (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013). James settled for the second team this year joining Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls), Patrick Beverley (Houston Rockets), Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs) and Roy Hibbert (Indiana Pacers).
The inclusion of Noah and Butler plus George and Hibbert is of no surprise considering the Bulls and Pacers are two of the teams with the toughest defenses during the season. Chicago held opponents to 91.9 PPG while Indiana to 92.3 PPG for 1st and 2nd best mark, respectively in the regular season.
This is Noah’s second appearance with the All-Defensive First Team after being named in 2013; third time for Paul (2008 and 2012) and Ibaka (2012 and 2013) and first time for George and Iguodala.
Other players who received votes but did not make either team are DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers); Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans); Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies); Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) and Dwight Howard (Houston Rockets).
Curiously, James Harden (Houston Rockets) received one first team vote. Harden is considered one of the worst defensive players in the league.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports