Apple Inc. Releases iOS 8 SDK w/ HealthKit and HomeKit
By Athena Yenko | June 3, 2014 12:31 PM EST
Apple Inc. releases the iOS 8 SDK with the overwhelming 4,000 new API's that will give developers the ability to create fresh and exciting apps never been seen in the market before.
"With more than 800 million iOS devices sold worldwide, the opportunity for developers is huge. This is the biggest iOS release since the launch of the App Store. The iOS 8 SDK delivers more than 4,000 new APIs including amazing new frameworks, greater extensibility and a revolutionary new programming language," said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering said in a statement from Apple Australia.
Developers can utilise iOS 8 SDK to maximise the users' interference with its innovative features - Notification Centre widgets and third-party keyboards.
The iOS 8 SDK also serves as a strong support for health apps such as the HealthKit and HomeKit.
"We believe Apple's HealthKit will revolutionise how the health industry interacts with people. We are proud to be at the forefront of this innovative technology with the Mayo Clinic app," John Noseworthy, M.D., Mayo Clinic president and CEO said.
"We are excited to be part of the next step in making home automation a reality, in a safe and integrated way. HomeKit will allow us to further enhance the Philips Hue lighting experience by making it simpler to securely pair devices throughout the house and control them using Siri," said Eric Rondolat, CEO, Philips Lighting said.
Metal, the up-to-the-minute graphics technology that take full advantage of the A7 chip and Swift, is the most powerful new programming language that makes iOS 8 SDK all the more thrilling for developers.
Additional iOS 8 SDK features include:
• PhotoKit, so developers can tap into the power of the same robust framework as the built-in Photos app for faster performance, nondestructive edits and the ability to both read and write to the Photos library;
• new Camera APIs, giving developers fine grain control over focus, white balance and exposure;
• CloudKit, a complete and scaleable back-end solution helps developers eliminate the need for writing server code and maintaining servers; and
• new App StoreTM features for developers like app previews and app bundles, the new iTunes Connect with free analytics and TestFlight for beta testing pre-release apps.
Apple Inc. is holding its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) from June 2 through 6 June at San Francisco's Moscone West.
WWDC 2014 activities include:
§ More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies;
§ more than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps;
§ the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design;
§ the opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world-last year more than 60 countries were represented;
§ a new series of get togethers for attendees focused on particular topics with special guest speakers and activities;
§ engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment; and
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4