Apple Inc. Unveils iOS 8, Pinned as the Biggest Release since App Store
By Athena Yenko | June 3, 2014 12:30 PM EST
The iOS 8 is designed to allow users to experience innovative features and for the developers to utilise tools in their creation of new apps.
iOS brings simpler, faster and more intuitive user experience, according to Apple Australia.
The released iOS 8 includes iCloud® Photo Library that allows user to access and enjoy photos and videos through different devices; new Message feature to share photos and videos just by swiping; Health app which gives users' summary of health and fitness information through a single device.
Furthermore, iOS 8 comes with a predictive typing for Apple's QuickTypeTM keyboard; Family Sharing feature for the whole family to conveniently share purchases, phots and calendars; and finally the iCloud DriveTM that can store files which can be access from anywhere.
"iOS 8 offers simpler, faster and more intuitive ways to use your device with incredible new features like iCloud Photo Library, a new Messages app, the QuickType keyboard and an entirely new Health app. We're also giving developers amazing new tools to make managing your health and your home from your devices an integrated, simple and secure experience," Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering said.
Additional iOS 8 features include:
• Design enhancements that build off the stunning interface of iOS 7, bringing interactive notifications, quick access to key contacts, the ability to quickly switch back and forth between the inbox and drafts in Mail, as well as intelligent suggestions;
• Extended Spotlight® capabilities that give you results beyond what's on your device, including articles from Wikipedia, findings from the news and results from places nearby; and
• Greater continuity between iPhone®, iPad® and Mac, including Handoff to start an activity on one device and finish on another, along with Instant Hotspot and the ability to make and receive calls and send SMS and MMS messages from your Mac or iPad.
Apple Inc. is holding its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) from June 2 through 6 June at San Francisco's Moscone West.
WWDC 2014 activities include:
- More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies;
- More than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps;
- The latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design;
- The opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world-last year more than 60 countries were represented;
- A new series of get togethers for attendees focused on particular topics with special guest speakers and activities;
- Engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment; and
- Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone®, iPad® and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design.
To contact the editor, e-mail: