Jeremy Lin To New York, Knicks Great Option For Linsanity Career
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 3, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Jeremy Lin could make his return to New York City, if the Houston Rockets pursues their ambitious plan to land All-Star small forward Carmelo Antony this offseason, according to several NBA insiders.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
After two years in Texas that saw him playing the starting point guard role and then assuming the sixth man duty for the Rockets, the Asian-American star might on his way back to Big Apple in what could be a blockbuster deal between Houston and New York this offseason.
The limelight of the big city is not a stranger for Lin, who carved his reputation in the league after exploding out of nowhere to help the then struggling Knicks reach the postseason roughly three years ago.
Now, there have been talks about a potential deal between the Rockets and the Knicks that would really change the whole landscape for next season.
According to Basketball Insider writer Steve Kyler, Houston general manager Daryl Morey is very interested to dispose the contracts of Lin, center Omer Asik and every player on his roster not named James Harden and Dwight Howard.
It's no secret that Lin and Asik enter the offseason as the two biggest trade chips for the Rockets. However, the last year of their back-loaded three-year deal could be stumbling blocks for any trade to happen.
Then again, the Knicks could accept this deal if they feel Anthony is on his way out. Knicks president Phil Jackson stressed he's going to exhaust all options to retain the service of his franchise player, but taking quality assets in expense of trading away Anthony could be another option.
Lin is a proven backcourt scorer and decent ball distributor, while Asik provides rebounding and rim protection, an area they sorely missed from an ageing and unmotivated Tyson Chandler - who probably played his last season with the Knickerbockers.
If Lin and Asik experiment doesn't work in the end, the Knicks will still be beneficiary of their expiring deals, giving them enormous amount of cap space to use for a very loaded free-agency of 2015.
For Lin, returning to a rebuilding Knicks is a perfect situation for him because he's going a lot of opportunity to pad up his stats before he hits the free-agency market once again. He clearly needs a fresh environment after struggling to work his way around alongside a ball-demanding James Harden for two seasons. It seems that there's no sweeter place than home at Madison Square Garden.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October