‘Mortal Kombat X’ Confirmed for 2015, Trailer and a Few Details Released
By Gel Galang | June 3, 2014 9:50 AM EST
All the teasers have borne fruit by way of an official announcement of "Mortal Kombat X" from NetherRealms Studios creative head Ed Boon.
It came with a very teasing official announcement tweet bearing the name of the new "Mortal Kombat" game:
The name of the game is "Mortal Kombat X"
— Ed Boon (@noobde) June 2, 2014
This was followed by a gorgeous trailer titled "Who's Next?" As teased previously, the soundtrack that can be heard in the background is from Wiz Khalifa, titled "Can't Be Stopped."
As far as other characters are concerned, Boon has gone back to teasing fans, saying only:
RT @ameixadirigivel @noobde can you confirm more characters?? EB: Yes. There will absolutely be more characters than Scorpion & Subzero. — Ed Boon (@noobde) June 2, 2014
At the very least, fans can be assured that there will be more of "Mortal Kombat X" showcased at E3 2014 in terms of gameplay and hopefully, the introduction of more characters.
RT @geoffkeighley @noobde Congrats on the announcement Ed! EB: Thanks Geoff, hope to see you at E3. — Ed Boon (@noobde) June 2, 2014
For now, there are no details yet on what will come during the E3 2014.
All About Fighting and an Online Component
If the announcement is not enough, Polygon has managed to get a few words from Boon himself via an official release from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, in terms of what fans should expect from "Mortal Kombat X.:
"Mortal Kombat has always been about over-the-top, visceral fighting and with Mortal Kombat X we wanted to utilize the power of new-gen consoles to give players our most intense game yet," said Boon as quoted by Polygon.
"The team has worked hard to make sure Mortal Kombat X delivers everything fans expect along with new characters, new game modes and an all-new graphics engine."
In addition, "Mortal Kombat X" will also allow online play, with characters getting variations in terms of style and strategy in fighting.
Preorders and an Official Web Site for "Mortal Kombat X"
Already, there's an official Web site dedicated to "Mortal Kombat X" and there's even a page for preorders. There are no details yet except for the "Coming 2015" but it does present a number of preorder locations and stores, including Amazon.com, Best Buy, GameStop, Newegg, Target and Walmart.
Perhaps in time, the freebies and a possible season pass may be announced as the release date for "Mortal Kombat X" gets announced.
For now, here are a few words from the official Web site to serve as tidbits of clues for "Mortal Kombat X" before the E3 2014:
"Fueled by next-gen technology, Mortal Kombat X combines unparalleled, cinematic presentation with all new gameplay to deliver the most brutal Kombat experience ever. For the first time ever, Mortal Kombat X gives players the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character impacting both strategy and fighting style. And with a new fully-connected gameplay experience, players are launched into a persistent online contest where every fight matters in a global battle for supremacy."
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]