FIFA World Cup 2014 Analysis & Predictions: Group E – Switzerland, Ecuador, France & Honduras
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 3, 2014 9:30 AM EST
Teams Qualified: France (1) & Switzerland (2)
Here is the fifth instalment of the "Analysis & Predictions" series of the FIFA World Cup 2014. There are only 9 days before the gala event takes place. Today we are going to analyse Group E and showcase our predictions for the group. Let's look at the possibilities of Group E.
France's national soccer team attend a training session at the Botafogo soccer club's Santa Cruz stadium in Ribeirao Preto, 336 km (208 miles) northwest of Sao Paulo, June 10, 2014. From L to R: Patrice Evra, Karim Benzema, Mathieu Valbuena, Paul Pogba and Raphael Varane.
Teams in the group
Switzerland, Ecuador, France & Honduras are in Group E. The European biggies will play against their American counterparts. Honduras, the Central American footballing nation, has qualified thrice while they had their earlier campaigns in 1982 and 2010. Ecuador, the South American team, has also qualified thrice. They earlier qualified in 2002 and 2006. France has always been one of the most prestigious teams in the world cup. It won in 1998 and finished second in 2006. It reached the semi-finals in 1958, 1982 and 1986. Switzerland's best performance in a world cup came in 1954 when it reached the quarter-finals. However, it is the highest ranked (6th) team in the group at the moment.
Morale of the teams
Switzerland emphatically qualified for the world cup, finishing at the top of the European table. They were far ahead of the second team on the table, Iceland. Expect an energetic Swiss team making their mark in the group stages. France gave tough competition to Spain, the champions of Europe and the world, in the qualifying rounds. With some of the world's biggest names in the team, France looks strong. Ecuador and Honduras are expected to make impressions with their muscular football. However, both these teams have struggled in the recent past.
Players on the spotlight
Switzerland: Valon Behrami, Granit Hxaka and Xherdan Shaquiri
France: Olivier Giroud, Patrice Evra, and Karim Benzema
Ecuador: Antonia Valencia and Walter Ayovi
Honduras: Roger Espinoza and Wilson Palacios
The match between Switzerland and France will be a turning point. This match will decide which team is going to finish second. No team will want to face Argentina in the next round as the South American team is most likely to finish at the top in Group F. That is why finishing on top will be crucial for this group. Expect Ribery to make a difference in the match. France will win 3-1.
France will win all three matches. Even though many may not have high hopes for the team, France is going to surprise many. Switzerland will finish second in the group. It will be a fight between Ecuador and Honduras to determine who will finish in the third position. My bet is Ecuador which will vigorously beat Honduras.
What's your prediction? Use the comment section to tell us about it.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]