Boxing News 2014: Donaire-Vetyeka Rematch Possibly in November
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 3, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum said on Monday that the rematch between newly crowned WBA featherweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr and his opponent South African boxer Simpiwe Vetyeka would likely be in November. It could also be earlier, depending on how fast the Filipino boxer would recover from the huge cut on his left eye caused by the accidental head butt during their Saturday bout.
Donaire, in a post-fight press conference at The Venetian in Macau's Cotai Arena proposed to hold their rematch in the same venue.
He won over Vetyeka due to the eye would which hindered his vision, prompting the referee to stop the fight after the fourth round and apply boxing rules to refer to the score cards to determine the winner.
Fortunately for Donaire, it was an identical 49-46 from the three judges. He wanted to continue the fight despite the eye wound for the sake of the fans, but it was the referee's call that prevailed.
He told the Philippine Star, "It's disappointing that things ended the way it did and hopefully we can do it again ... When I got headbutted I was really out of it, I didn't know what the hell was going on."
The wound required 11 stitches. Donaire was back in Manila on Monday with wife Rachel and 10-month-old son Jarel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy