Boxing News 2014: Donaire-Vetyeka Rematch Possibly in November
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 3, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum said on Monday that the rematch between newly crowned WBA featherweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr and his opponent South African boxer Simpiwe Vetyeka would likely be in November. It could also be earlier, depending on how fast the Filipino boxer would recover from the huge cut on his left eye caused by the accidental head butt during their Saturday bout.
Donaire, in a post-fight press conference at The Venetian in Macau's Cotai Arena proposed to hold their rematch in the same venue.
He won over Vetyeka due to the eye would which hindered his vision, prompting the referee to stop the fight after the fourth round and apply boxing rules to refer to the score cards to determine the winner.
Fortunately for Donaire, it was an identical 49-46 from the three judges. He wanted to continue the fight despite the eye wound for the sake of the fans, but it was the referee's call that prevailed.
He told the Philippine Star, "It's disappointing that things ended the way it did and hopefully we can do it again ... When I got headbutted I was really out of it, I didn't know what the hell was going on."
The wound required 11 stitches. Donaire was back in Manila on Monday with wife Rachel and 10-month-old son Jarel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced