World Cup 2014: Due to Unfinished Stadium, Only 40,000 Sports Fans Could Attend the Final Test Match in Brazil’s Corinthians Arena to Test Venue’s Readiness
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 3, 2014 8:57 AM EST
Delays continue to hound Brazil just over a week before the first game is held on June 12, particularly the construction of football stadiums where the matches would be held.
One of them is the Corinthians Arena where the test match between the stadium owners Corinthians and the Rio side Botafogo would be held on Sunday.
However, the stadium is only 75 per cent ready, prompting firefighting authorities to not allow the host club to open one seating area, which means only about 5,000 sports fans would be permitted into another unfinished section.
That would mean the test match on Sunday would fail to meet the order from FUFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke "that all facilities will be tested under full match conditions including the temporary seats & associated facilities."
About 65,000 soccer fans are expected on the opening day match on June 12 in Sau Paulo with host and five-time champions Brazil against Croatia.
The delays were due to the death of three construction workers, including one who fell from an unfinished seating area on March 21 at the Itaquerao stadium, causing the labor ministry to order a stop to the construction and demand safety improvements.
On May 18, a first test game between the Corinthians and Figueirense was held at Itaquerao, but the 40,000 who attended the match encountered broken lifts, problems with exterior lighting, poor mobile phone connection and a storm that had some of the spectators move to higher seats due to the unfinished roof glass panels that drenched some of the fans.
Brazil handed over Itaquerao to FIFA in May 21, almost five months beyond its original deadline on Dec 31, 2013 for all the 12 stadiums. Besides the delay, costs for the stadiums went by 14 to 18 per cent beyond its original budget and shoot up between 920 million and 950 million reais.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed