Spanish Roll: Nadal, Ferrer to Meet in the Quarterfinals of the 2014 French Open
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 12:19 AM EST
The good news is that Spanish compatriots Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer are through to the next round after winning their respective matches in the fourth round. The bad news is that they are on a collision course as they are scheduled to meet in the quarterfinals of the men’s singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain returns a forehand to Dusan Lajovic of Serbia during their men's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 2, 2014.
Seeded first in Paris, Nadal took out Dusan Lajovic of Serbia in just 1 hour and 33 minutes winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1. Meanwhile, the fifth seed Ferrer had to give up a set against Kenny Anderson of South Africa but nonetheless advanced with a 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1 victory.
Nadal's domination of his Serbian opponent began early. In the first set, Nadal was 10/10 on first serves while Lajovic was jittery with 16 unforced errors. That was the match in a nutshell as Nadal broke Lajovic 8-of-10 times dominating on winners (17-9) and attacking the net (7-of-9 net points converted).
Ferrer showed similar dominance against Anderson except for the fourth set, which was won by the South African via a tiebreaker. Still, Ferrer was more composed for majority of the match with just 24 unforced errors to Anderson’s 40. Anderson actually had 9 aces for the match but it was not enough as his serve was broken seven times.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nadal-Lajovic and Ferrer-Anderson matches in the fourth round of the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery