Spanish Roll: Nadal, Ferrer to Meet in the Quarterfinals of the 2014 French Open
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 12:19 AM EST
The good news is that Spanish compatriots Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer are through to the next round after winning their respective matches in the fourth round. The bad news is that they are on a collision course as they are scheduled to meet in the quarterfinals of the men’s singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain returns a forehand to Dusan Lajovic of Serbia during their men's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 2, 2014.
Seeded first in Paris, Nadal took out Dusan Lajovic of Serbia in just 1 hour and 33 minutes winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1. Meanwhile, the fifth seed Ferrer had to give up a set against Kenny Anderson of South Africa but nonetheless advanced with a 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1 victory.
Nadal's domination of his Serbian opponent began early. In the first set, Nadal was 10/10 on first serves while Lajovic was jittery with 16 unforced errors. That was the match in a nutshell as Nadal broke Lajovic 8-of-10 times dominating on winners (17-9) and attacking the net (7-of-9 net points converted).
Ferrer showed similar dominance against Anderson except for the fourth set, which was won by the South African via a tiebreaker. Still, Ferrer was more composed for majority of the match with just 24 unforced errors to Anderson’s 40. Anderson actually had 9 aces for the match but it was not enough as his serve was broken seven times.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nadal-Lajovic and Ferrer-Anderson matches in the fourth round of the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015