Spanish Roll: Nadal, Ferrer to Meet in the Quarterfinals of the 2014 French Open
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 12:19 AM EST
The good news is that Spanish compatriots Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer are through to the next round after winning their respective matches in the fourth round. The bad news is that they are on a collision course as they are scheduled to meet in the quarterfinals of the men’s singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain returns a forehand to Dusan Lajovic of Serbia during their men's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 2, 2014.
Seeded first in Paris, Nadal took out Dusan Lajovic of Serbia in just 1 hour and 33 minutes winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1. Meanwhile, the fifth seed Ferrer had to give up a set against Kenny Anderson of South Africa but nonetheless advanced with a 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1 victory.
Nadal's domination of his Serbian opponent began early. In the first set, Nadal was 10/10 on first serves while Lajovic was jittery with 16 unforced errors. That was the match in a nutshell as Nadal broke Lajovic 8-of-10 times dominating on winners (17-9) and attacking the net (7-of-9 net points converted).
Ferrer showed similar dominance against Anderson except for the fourth set, which was won by the South African via a tiebreaker. Still, Ferrer was more composed for majority of the match with just 24 unforced errors to Anderson’s 40. Anderson actually had 9 aces for the match but it was not enough as his serve was broken seven times.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nadal-Lajovic and Ferrer-Anderson matches in the fourth round of the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money