Spanish Roll: Nadal, Ferrer to Meet in the Quarterfinals of the 2014 French Open
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 12:19 AM EST
The good news is that Spanish compatriots Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer are through to the next round after winning their respective matches in the fourth round. The bad news is that they are on a collision course as they are scheduled to meet in the quarterfinals of the men’s singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain returns a forehand to Dusan Lajovic of Serbia during their men's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 2, 2014.
Seeded first in Paris, Nadal took out Dusan Lajovic of Serbia in just 1 hour and 33 minutes winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1. Meanwhile, the fifth seed Ferrer had to give up a set against Kenny Anderson of South Africa but nonetheless advanced with a 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1 victory.
Nadal's domination of his Serbian opponent began early. In the first set, Nadal was 10/10 on first serves while Lajovic was jittery with 16 unforced errors. That was the match in a nutshell as Nadal broke Lajovic 8-of-10 times dominating on winners (17-9) and attacking the net (7-of-9 net points converted).
Ferrer showed similar dominance against Anderson except for the fourth set, which was won by the South African via a tiebreaker. Still, Ferrer was more composed for majority of the match with just 24 unforced errors to Anderson’s 40. Anderson actually had 9 aces for the match but it was not enough as his serve was broken seven times.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nadal-Lajovic and Ferrer-Anderson matches in the fourth round of the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS