Spanish Roll: Nadal, Ferrer to Meet in the Quarterfinals of the 2014 French Open
By James Patrick Quizon | June 3, 2014 12:19 AM EST
The good news is that Spanish compatriots Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer are through to the next round after winning their respective matches in the fourth round. The bad news is that they are on a collision course as they are scheduled to meet in the quarterfinals of the men’s singles competition of the 2014 French Open.
Rafael Nadal of Spain returns a forehand to Dusan Lajovic of Serbia during their men's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 2, 2014.
Seeded first in Paris, Nadal took out Dusan Lajovic of Serbia in just 1 hour and 33 minutes winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, 6-1. Meanwhile, the fifth seed Ferrer had to give up a set against Kenny Anderson of South Africa but nonetheless advanced with a 6-3, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1 victory.
Nadal's domination of his Serbian opponent began early. In the first set, Nadal was 10/10 on first serves while Lajovic was jittery with 16 unforced errors. That was the match in a nutshell as Nadal broke Lajovic 8-of-10 times dominating on winners (17-9) and attacking the net (7-of-9 net points converted).
Ferrer showed similar dominance against Anderson except for the fourth set, which was won by the South African via a tiebreaker. Still, Ferrer was more composed for majority of the match with just 24 unforced errors to Anderson’s 40. Anderson actually had 9 aces for the match but it was not enough as his serve was broken seven times.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nadal-Lajovic and Ferrer-Anderson matches in the fourth round of the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage