Liverpool FC Transfer News: Reds Confirm Signing of Southampton Striker
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 2, 2014 11:20 PM EST
Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Southampton striker Rickie Lambert on their official Website.
The England international, who joined the Merseysiders for a reported fee of €4.9million, managed to tally a total of 14 goals and 11 assists during the 2013/14 season and was selected to represent his country in the upcoming World Cup Finals in June.
“I can't believe it. I've loved this club all my life. I left here 17 years ago - and I haven't stopped loving it since. To be back here now having just signed at the age of 32 is hard to describe." - Rickie Lambert
"I can't believe it. I've loved this club all my life. I left here 17 years ago - and I haven't stopped loving it since. To be back here now having just signed at the age of 32 is hard to describe," the 32-year-old told liverpoolfc.com.
The news came in as a surprise as Lambert, while still in his prime, only has a few more years left to his career in a very competitive environment like the Premier League due to his age.
"Obviously I have always dreamt of playing for Liverpool, but I did kind of think the chance of playing for them had gone. I didn't think the chance would come. It was a shock when I heard Liverpool were in for me," he added.
"I've been trying to keep it as quiet as possible and tell only my close family. My mum and dad shed a few tears when I told them, especially my mum. It's not just playing for Liverpool, it's the fact I'm coming home. I've been away for eight years."
"My mum and dad have loved watching me play football all of my life, even when I was a kid, so it'd been hard for them not being able to come and watch. The fact they've got their son home - and the fact he's playing for Liverpool - is unbelievable."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop