Spain’s King Carlos Abdicates Due to Poor Health, to Pass Crown to Prince Felipe
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 2, 2014 7:44 PM EST
The world will witness a monarch retire as Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced on Monday the abdication of King Juan Carlos. The 76-year-old king who assumed the crown in 1975 after the death of dictator Francisco Franco is passing the crown due to weak health.
Spain's Crown Prince Felipe and Spain's King Juan Carlos watch military parade outside the Parliament in Madrid
The new Spanish king will be Prince Felipe. The announcement would confirm speculations in media that the king will abdicate and cede the throne to 46-year-old Crown Prince Felipe due to the king's poor health.
The PM did not provide a specific timetable when would the king step down and hand the crown to his son.
While he endeared himself to Spaniards early in his term by stopping an attempted military coup in 1981 when he was just six years in power, King Juan Carlos's popularity has gone down recently following recent royal scandals and concerns over his health.
The scandals include going on an elephant-shooting trip while the country was in the middle of a financial crisis where he also broke his right hip and had to be flown back to Spain from Botswana on a private jet for medical treatment.
There was also the long-running corruption investigation on his daughter, Princess Cristina, and her husband, Inaki Urdangarin. The probe was over huge overcharging the regional governments of the Balearic Islands and Valencia for a series of sporting events organised by Urdangarin's not-for-profit organization, Noos. The son-in-law allegedly received $7.5 million of public money, but Undangarin - also know as the Duke of Palma - and his business partner Diego Torres, denied any wrongdoing.
Besides the Spanish king, the world has also been monitoring if Britain's Queen Elizabeth, who celebrated her diamond jubilee, would also abdicate soon and make Prince Charles finally king.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen