Cristiano Ronaldo Has an Extra Bone in His Ankle
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 5:25 PM EST
When Real Madrid won the UEFA Champions League final and Cristiano Ronaldo took off his shirt to celebrate his goal to secure the victory at 4-1, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that Ronaldo is an amazing physical specimen. Not many however, are aware that not only is Ronaldo a sight to behold, he actually does have a physical edge that exists in only 10% of the human population: an extra bone in his ankle.
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo (R) celebrates with team mate Alvaro Morata (L) after scoring a penalty against Atletico Madrid during their Champions League final soccer match at the Luz Stadium in Lisbon May 24, 2014.
The extra bone was discovered in 2009 when Ronaldo went for treatment after suffering an injury in a game against Marseille. This, and many other anecdotes and secrets about the 2013 Ballon d'Or winner is revealed in a new book entitled CR7 - The Secrets of the Machine, written by Luis Miguel Pereira and serialised in The Sun.
Ronaldo has come a long way from being the skinny, curly haired boy from Lisbon who would break into his team's fitness center to have a late night workout. The incident was also one of the interesting anecdotes in the book.
Ronaldo scored a record 17 goals in this year's Champions League season where the final match was played in his home country, Portugal. He was widely expected to shine in the final match but was neutralized by Diego Simeone's Atlético Madrid who were weary of what he can do. Late in the game when Real Madrid were already 3-1 up, A misplaced tackle in the box awarded Ronaldo a penalty shot and his 17th goal of the season to the delight of his home fans at the Estadio Do Luz in Lisbon.
Before the final match, Ronaldo has been sidelined for several matches due to a hamstring injury. He missed several La Liga matches including the one where Real Madrid lost 2-0 while away at Celta Vigo effectively handing the League trophy to Atletico Madrid.
Portugal's chances at the upcoming FIFA World Cup will also depend largely on Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales