Cristiano Ronaldo Has an Extra Bone in His Ankle
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 5:25 PM EST
When Real Madrid won the UEFA Champions League final and Cristiano Ronaldo took off his shirt to celebrate his goal to secure the victory at 4-1, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that Ronaldo is an amazing physical specimen. Not many however, are aware that not only is Ronaldo a sight to behold, he actually does have a physical edge that exists in only 10% of the human population: an extra bone in his ankle.
Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo (R) celebrates with team mate Alvaro Morata (L) after scoring a penalty against Atletico Madrid during their Champions League final soccer match at the Luz Stadium in Lisbon May 24, 2014.
The extra bone was discovered in 2009 when Ronaldo went for treatment after suffering an injury in a game against Marseille. This, and many other anecdotes and secrets about the 2013 Ballon d'Or winner is revealed in a new book entitled CR7 - The Secrets of the Machine, written by Luis Miguel Pereira and serialised in The Sun.
Ronaldo has come a long way from being the skinny, curly haired boy from Lisbon who would break into his team's fitness center to have a late night workout. The incident was also one of the interesting anecdotes in the book.
Ronaldo scored a record 17 goals in this year's Champions League season where the final match was played in his home country, Portugal. He was widely expected to shine in the final match but was neutralized by Diego Simeone's Atlético Madrid who were weary of what he can do. Late in the game when Real Madrid were already 3-1 up, A misplaced tackle in the box awarded Ronaldo a penalty shot and his 17th goal of the season to the delight of his home fans at the Estadio Do Luz in Lisbon.
Before the final match, Ronaldo has been sidelined for several matches due to a hamstring injury. He missed several La Liga matches including the one where Real Madrid lost 2-0 while away at Celta Vigo effectively handing the League trophy to Atletico Madrid.
Portugal's chances at the upcoming FIFA World Cup will also depend largely on Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal