Angelina Jolie Reveals She Has More in Common with Adopted Son Maddox Than Her Other Kids
By Anne Lu | June 2, 2014 4:54 PM EST
Angelina Jolie has six children, but she’ll always be closer to her first child. The “Maleficent” star revealed that she has more in common with her adopted son Maddox than with her other children, including her biological ones.
Cast member Angelina Jolie and actor Brad Pitt pose at the premiere of "Maleficent" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood, California May 28, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on May 30.
The 38-year-old actress adopted Maddox as a single parent when she was still married to Billy Bob Thornton in March 2002. However, their marriage quickly ended three months later, forcing Angelina to raise her son alone.
It wasn’t until three years later in July 2005 that she followed up her adoption with a baby girl from Ethiopia, Zahara. At that time she was already with Brad Pitt, so Brad also adopted both Maddox and Zahara.
In May 2006, Angelina gave birth to her first biological child, Shiloh, who was born in Namibia. Then not even a year later in March 2007, Brangelina – as the media fondly call Brad and Angelina together – adopted a then-three-year-old son Pax from Vietnam.
Finally in July 2008, the Academy Award winner gave birth to twins Knox and Vivienne in France.
With such a large family, Angelina has certainly learned a thing or two about motherhood, including her children’s personalities.
“I think children are exactly who they are when they’re born. And if there is a trauma, it can drastically change who they are,” she was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying.
“If you look at baby photos of our kids, the way they were, the way they looked, what their energy was – whether there were a sweet, elegant, private little person, or a funny, open person, or a bold person – they’re still the same.
“There’s so much they are born with. And we believe you just have to encourage the individual and support them, but don’t get in their way too much.”
And when it comes to finding common traits with her children, Angelina said genes don’t matter, adding that she has more in common with her first child, who was adopted, than to her other kids.
“You’d think you’d be more similar to the children you have a genetic link with, but I’m not. Maybe one of them, but then I’m very similar to Maddox,” Angelina confessed.
“So it doesn’t have an impact that some are genetically connected.”
Angie also admitted in a separate interview that the 12-year-old Maddox already has a girlfriend.
“She’s great. I won’t embarrass him. She’s lovely. She lives in England. She’s very cool.”
Angelina’s “Maleficent,” also starring Elle Fanning, took in a massive U$170.6 million at the box office during its opening weekend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video