Real Madrid Transfer News: Angel Di Maria is a Wanted Man
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 4:42 PM EST
The regular season has ended and the football world has their sights set on the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. However, this won't stop transfers from taking place whether real or rumoured. Chelsea has already announced the acquisition of Diego Costa and the sale of David Luiz to PSG. Manchester United is also set to go on a crazy summer shopping spree in a bid to rejuvenate the team. The latest transfer bombshell involves Real Madrid midfielder Angel Di Maria.
The Argentine has already been shipped off to represent Argentina alongside other greats like Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and former Real Madrid Teammate Gonzalo Higuain. This is the first time however that he won't be in the shadows but standing in the spotlight.
The 26-year-old is in high demand and Real Madrid will be pulling all the stops to keep him in the club. Reports say that Arsenal, Paris-Saint Germain, Monaco, Manchester United and even Juventus are trying to sign Di Maria.
Arsenal is the most serious based on recent reports and it could be remembered that it was also the Gunners who took Mesut Ozil off Real Madrid's hands which left Di Maria a secure place in the team.
Di Maria's exceptional crossing and passing skills were instrumental in Real Madrid's tenth UEFA Champion's League title with his attempt at goal being deflected to Gareth Bale to secure the lead over Atlético Madrid deep into extra time. His performance in that one match alone had scouts squirming in their seats and taking notice. His past performances are now shoved into the spotlight and his stock is rising like crazy.
Apart from the epic Champions League final, Di Maria also scored seven goals and provided 22 assists in 46 appearances across La Liga and the Champions League during the 2013-14 season.
An announcement can be made anytime if he is indeed keen to leave. There is no doubt that Di Maria is aware of the offers being made for him. On the other hand, the high demand for his services may also be used to gain an upper hand in negotiating a much more lucrative extension with Real Madrid. After all, it would not be a bad idea for him to stay in a competitive team where he has a solid place in the starting line up.
In an interview with Marca, Di Maria expressed concerns with uprooting his family and going through the motions of a transfer. He, more than anyone is keen to find out what the future holds for him so he can concentrate on the World Cup.
"I'd like to have less to worry about this year, to know what's going to happen with me and my family. Especially for them, my wife and daughter; if I have to leave with moving and all that... What I want to know is if I'm going to stay or not. Things keep being said and I hope to be able to concentrate on the World Cup," said Di Maria.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013