Real Madrid Transfer News: Angel Di Maria is a Wanted Man
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 4:42 PM EST
The regular season has ended and the football world has their sights set on the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. However, this won't stop transfers from taking place whether real or rumoured. Chelsea has already announced the acquisition of Diego Costa and the sale of David Luiz to PSG. Manchester United is also set to go on a crazy summer shopping spree in a bid to rejuvenate the team. The latest transfer bombshell involves Real Madrid midfielder Angel Di Maria.
The Argentine has already been shipped off to represent Argentina alongside other greats like Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and former Real Madrid Teammate Gonzalo Higuain. This is the first time however that he won't be in the shadows but standing in the spotlight.
The 26-year-old is in high demand and Real Madrid will be pulling all the stops to keep him in the club. Reports say that Arsenal, Paris-Saint Germain, Monaco, Manchester United and even Juventus are trying to sign Di Maria.
Arsenal is the most serious based on recent reports and it could be remembered that it was also the Gunners who took Mesut Ozil off Real Madrid's hands which left Di Maria a secure place in the team.
Di Maria's exceptional crossing and passing skills were instrumental in Real Madrid's tenth UEFA Champion's League title with his attempt at goal being deflected to Gareth Bale to secure the lead over Atlético Madrid deep into extra time. His performance in that one match alone had scouts squirming in their seats and taking notice. His past performances are now shoved into the spotlight and his stock is rising like crazy.
Apart from the epic Champions League final, Di Maria also scored seven goals and provided 22 assists in 46 appearances across La Liga and the Champions League during the 2013-14 season.
An announcement can be made anytime if he is indeed keen to leave. There is no doubt that Di Maria is aware of the offers being made for him. On the other hand, the high demand for his services may also be used to gain an upper hand in negotiating a much more lucrative extension with Real Madrid. After all, it would not be a bad idea for him to stay in a competitive team where he has a solid place in the starting line up.
In an interview with Marca, Di Maria expressed concerns with uprooting his family and going through the motions of a transfer. He, more than anyone is keen to find out what the future holds for him so he can concentrate on the World Cup.
"I'd like to have less to worry about this year, to know what's going to happen with me and my family. Especially for them, my wife and daughter; if I have to leave with moving and all that... What I want to know is if I'm going to stay or not. Things keep being said and I hope to be able to concentrate on the World Cup," said Di Maria.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots