Real Madrid Transfer News: Angel Di Maria is a Wanted Man
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 4:42 PM EST
The regular season has ended and the football world has their sights set on the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. However, this won't stop transfers from taking place whether real or rumoured. Chelsea has already announced the acquisition of Diego Costa and the sale of David Luiz to PSG. Manchester United is also set to go on a crazy summer shopping spree in a bid to rejuvenate the team. The latest transfer bombshell involves Real Madrid midfielder Angel Di Maria.
The Argentine has already been shipped off to represent Argentina alongside other greats like Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and former Real Madrid Teammate Gonzalo Higuain. This is the first time however that he won't be in the shadows but standing in the spotlight.
The 26-year-old is in high demand and Real Madrid will be pulling all the stops to keep him in the club. Reports say that Arsenal, Paris-Saint Germain, Monaco, Manchester United and even Juventus are trying to sign Di Maria.
Arsenal is the most serious based on recent reports and it could be remembered that it was also the Gunners who took Mesut Ozil off Real Madrid's hands which left Di Maria a secure place in the team.
Di Maria's exceptional crossing and passing skills were instrumental in Real Madrid's tenth UEFA Champion's League title with his attempt at goal being deflected to Gareth Bale to secure the lead over Atlético Madrid deep into extra time. His performance in that one match alone had scouts squirming in their seats and taking notice. His past performances are now shoved into the spotlight and his stock is rising like crazy.
Apart from the epic Champions League final, Di Maria also scored seven goals and provided 22 assists in 46 appearances across La Liga and the Champions League during the 2013-14 season.
An announcement can be made anytime if he is indeed keen to leave. There is no doubt that Di Maria is aware of the offers being made for him. On the other hand, the high demand for his services may also be used to gain an upper hand in negotiating a much more lucrative extension with Real Madrid. After all, it would not be a bad idea for him to stay in a competitive team where he has a solid place in the starting line up.
In an interview with Marca, Di Maria expressed concerns with uprooting his family and going through the motions of a transfer. He, more than anyone is keen to find out what the future holds for him so he can concentrate on the World Cup.
"I'd like to have less to worry about this year, to know what's going to happen with me and my family. Especially for them, my wife and daughter; if I have to leave with moving and all that... What I want to know is if I'm going to stay or not. Things keep being said and I hope to be able to concentrate on the World Cup," said Di Maria.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’