Real Madrid Transfer News: Angel Di Maria is a Wanted Man
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 4:42 PM EST
The regular season has ended and the football world has their sights set on the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. However, this won't stop transfers from taking place whether real or rumoured. Chelsea has already announced the acquisition of Diego Costa and the sale of David Luiz to PSG. Manchester United is also set to go on a crazy summer shopping spree in a bid to rejuvenate the team. The latest transfer bombshell involves Real Madrid midfielder Angel Di Maria.
The Argentine has already been shipped off to represent Argentina alongside other greats like Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and former Real Madrid Teammate Gonzalo Higuain. This is the first time however that he won't be in the shadows but standing in the spotlight.
The 26-year-old is in high demand and Real Madrid will be pulling all the stops to keep him in the club. Reports say that Arsenal, Paris-Saint Germain, Monaco, Manchester United and even Juventus are trying to sign Di Maria.
Arsenal is the most serious based on recent reports and it could be remembered that it was also the Gunners who took Mesut Ozil off Real Madrid's hands which left Di Maria a secure place in the team.
Di Maria's exceptional crossing and passing skills were instrumental in Real Madrid's tenth UEFA Champion's League title with his attempt at goal being deflected to Gareth Bale to secure the lead over Atlético Madrid deep into extra time. His performance in that one match alone had scouts squirming in their seats and taking notice. His past performances are now shoved into the spotlight and his stock is rising like crazy.
Apart from the epic Champions League final, Di Maria also scored seven goals and provided 22 assists in 46 appearances across La Liga and the Champions League during the 2013-14 season.
An announcement can be made anytime if he is indeed keen to leave. There is no doubt that Di Maria is aware of the offers being made for him. On the other hand, the high demand for his services may also be used to gain an upper hand in negotiating a much more lucrative extension with Real Madrid. After all, it would not be a bad idea for him to stay in a competitive team where he has a solid place in the starting line up.
In an interview with Marca, Di Maria expressed concerns with uprooting his family and going through the motions of a transfer. He, more than anyone is keen to find out what the future holds for him so he can concentrate on the World Cup.
"I'd like to have less to worry about this year, to know what's going to happen with me and my family. Especially for them, my wife and daughter; if I have to leave with moving and all that... What I want to know is if I'm going to stay or not. Things keep being said and I hope to be able to concentrate on the World Cup," said Di Maria.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People