Five Mobile Phones Tough Enough To Survive The End Of The World (Videos)
By Tanya Diente | June 2, 2014 4:39 PM EST
There used to be a time when smartphone shopping is based on preferred brands and whatever latest model was available within a certain target price range. Nowadays other factors help in making decisions over what brand and phone model to purchase. These factors include the phone's ability to withstand drops and strong impacts and another is if the phone can go against the main nemesis of any electronic device, water.
People holding mobile phones are silhouetted against a backdrop projected with the Twitter logo in this illustration picture taken in Warsaw in this September 27, 2013 file photo. Twitter Inc on April 29, 2014, reported 255 million monthly active users, up 5.8 percent from the previous quarter but not enough to satisfy investors increasingly concerned about its struggle to gain a mass following.
For the mobile phone industry, toughness is measured through the following industrial standards: IP-67 certification, meaning the device is protected from dust or liquid ingress, and MIL-810G certification: the device can survive extreme weather conditions and still remains functional even after being subjected to strong impacts. The Verge provides the following list of mobile phones designed to meet these standards of toughness. While GSM Arena details its specs. Any phone that meets the IP-67 and MIL-810G certification standard might even survive the end of days.
Samsung Galaxy S5 Active is the rugged sibling of its most recent flagship model, the Samsung Galaxy S5. The phone meets both the IP-67 and MIL-810G certification. It features a 5.1-inch super AMOLED Full-HD display screen protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3. The screen is also designed with a 432 ppi pixel density. Samsung Galaxy S5 Active features a 16 MP camera with HDR and aqua mode for underwater photos and videos. Its operating system is the Android V4.4.2 and the battery comes with a lifespan of 2800 mAh. The Samsung Galaxy S5 Active is the best option for users who want a full feature mobile phone that's also very tough.
Kyocera Torque according to GSM Arena is a compact smartphone offered by Sprint in the USA. The phone’ screen measures 4.0-inches and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 2. Its screen also features an IPS LCD display with a pixel density of 233 ppi. The Kyocera Torque has a 5 MP camera, runs on Android V4.0 and comes with a 2500 mAh battery. The compact smartphone has the looks that meet the expectations of its MIL-810G and IP-67 certification. The only downside is its meagre 4 GB internal storage. However, a Micro SD slot compensates for the lack of space.
Casio G'Zone Commando 4G is a rugged smartphone released by Verizon. This model is both IP-67 and MIL-810G certified. The Casio G'Zone Commando 4G features a screen measuring 4.0-inches that is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 2. The screen also boasts an IPS LCD display with a 233 ppi pixel density. The Casio G'Zone Commando features a 4G 8 MP camera with LED flash, runs on Android V4.0, and a smaller 1800 mAh battery. It comes with a 16 GB internal storage with a Micro SD slot for expansion and offers LTE connectivity, which is a big plus.
CAT B15 certainly lives up to the company's image of tough and heavy duty products. CAT is really not a brand recognised by smartphone users, reports The Verge. Caterpillar Inc. also known as CAT, is an American corporation that designs, manufactures, and sells heavy machinery and engines. The CAT B15 smartphone is certainly made to look at home in the field and construction locations. Its body is designed with an aluminum chassis with a heavy duty rubber top, bottom as well as back panel. The phone features a screen measuring 4.0-inches protected by Corning Gorilla Glass. The screen also features a TFT panel display with a 233 ppi pixel density. CAT B15 features a 5 MP camera, runs on Android V4.1 and a works with a 2000 mAh battery. Internal storage is at 4 GB with Micro SD card slot expansion. CAT B15 meets the standards for IP67 and MIL-810G certification.
Nautiz X1 is last on the list of IP-67 and MIL-810G certified smartphones, according to The Verge. Nautiz X1 is a brand rarely recognised as a smartphone. However it is a rugged little smartphone that was thoroughly tested using the IP-67 and MIL-810G certification. Nautiz X1 comes with a screen measuring 4.0-inches. The screen features a TFT panel display with a 233 ppi pixel density. It has a built-in 5 MP camera, runs on Android V4.0 and a 1530 mAh battery. Nautiz X1 may have disappointing specs compared to other phones but it makes up for its toughness as it is IP-67 and MIL-810G certified. A windows 6.5 OS version of this Nautiz X1 is also an available option.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- Minecraft 1.8 Snapshot 14w30c Released; Partnership with Lego to Reveal Toys This Fall
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6