Faster Downloads on the Moon Looms; NASA, MIT Set Wifi on Moon
By Silvana Peters | June 2, 2014 4:00 PM EST
WiFi is no longer soley available on Earth. Scientists from NASA along with MIT researchers have been working on establishing a WiFi connection on the Moon.
The moon is shown in eclipse from Los Angeles (Reuters)
The Optical Society (OSA) reports that the team of experts have been able to successfully transmit data through lasers. It writes: "for the first time that a data communication technology exists that can provide space dwellers with the connectivity we all enjoy here on Earth, enabling large data transfers and even high-definition video streaming."
"Communicating at high data rates from Earth to the moon with laser beams is challenging because of the 400,000-kilometre distance spreading out the light beam," said Mark Stevens of MIT Lincoln Laboratory in the press release.
Additionally, while distance remains their biggest obstacle, the atmosphere's turbulence also raises issues with the bending of light, causing signal difficulties.
The speed in which data was transmitted clocked in uploads from the Moon to the Earth at a solid 622 Mbps while download speeds from the Earth to the Moon was quite slower only at 19.44 Mbps.
The data is transmitted through "four separate telescopes based in New Mexico to send an uplink signal to a receiver mounted on a satellite orbiting the moon. Each telescope is about 6 inches in diameter and is fed by a laser transmitter that beams information in coded pulses of infrared light," reported Discover Magazine.
This strategy was utilised considering the turbulence in the air. Each telescope sends signals using different paths, meaning they'll experience different bending effects from the atmosphere. This method increases the changes that at least one of the signals with connect with the receiver that's connected to a satellite orbiting the moon.
The work of the team will be presented at the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) in July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed