Faster Downloads on the Moon Looms; NASA, MIT Set Wifi on Moon
By Silvana Peters | June 2, 2014 4:00 PM EST
WiFi is no longer soley available on Earth. Scientists from NASA along with MIT researchers have been working on establishing a WiFi connection on the Moon.
The moon is shown in eclipse from Los Angeles (Reuters)
The Optical Society (OSA) reports that the team of experts have been able to successfully transmit data through lasers. It writes: "for the first time that a data communication technology exists that can provide space dwellers with the connectivity we all enjoy here on Earth, enabling large data transfers and even high-definition video streaming."
"Communicating at high data rates from Earth to the moon with laser beams is challenging because of the 400,000-kilometre distance spreading out the light beam," said Mark Stevens of MIT Lincoln Laboratory in the press release.
Additionally, while distance remains their biggest obstacle, the atmosphere's turbulence also raises issues with the bending of light, causing signal difficulties.
The speed in which data was transmitted clocked in uploads from the Moon to the Earth at a solid 622 Mbps while download speeds from the Earth to the Moon was quite slower only at 19.44 Mbps.
The data is transmitted through "four separate telescopes based in New Mexico to send an uplink signal to a receiver mounted on a satellite orbiting the moon. Each telescope is about 6 inches in diameter and is fed by a laser transmitter that beams information in coded pulses of infrared light," reported Discover Magazine.
This strategy was utilised considering the turbulence in the air. Each telescope sends signals using different paths, meaning they'll experience different bending effects from the atmosphere. This method increases the changes that at least one of the signals with connect with the receiver that's connected to a satellite orbiting the moon.
The work of the team will be presented at the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) in July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around