Faster Downloads on the Moon Looms; NASA, MIT Set Wifi on Moon
By Silvana Peters | June 2, 2014 4:00 PM EST
WiFi is no longer soley available on Earth. Scientists from NASA along with MIT researchers have been working on establishing a WiFi connection on the Moon.
The moon is shown in eclipse from Los Angeles (Reuters)
The Optical Society (OSA) reports that the team of experts have been able to successfully transmit data through lasers. It writes: "for the first time that a data communication technology exists that can provide space dwellers with the connectivity we all enjoy here on Earth, enabling large data transfers and even high-definition video streaming."
"Communicating at high data rates from Earth to the moon with laser beams is challenging because of the 400,000-kilometre distance spreading out the light beam," said Mark Stevens of MIT Lincoln Laboratory in the press release.
Additionally, while distance remains their biggest obstacle, the atmosphere's turbulence also raises issues with the bending of light, causing signal difficulties.
The speed in which data was transmitted clocked in uploads from the Moon to the Earth at a solid 622 Mbps while download speeds from the Earth to the Moon was quite slower only at 19.44 Mbps.
The data is transmitted through "four separate telescopes based in New Mexico to send an uplink signal to a receiver mounted on a satellite orbiting the moon. Each telescope is about 6 inches in diameter and is fed by a laser transmitter that beams information in coded pulses of infrared light," reported Discover Magazine.
This strategy was utilised considering the turbulence in the air. Each telescope sends signals using different paths, meaning they'll experience different bending effects from the atmosphere. This method increases the changes that at least one of the signals with connect with the receiver that's connected to a satellite orbiting the moon.
The work of the team will be presented at the Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) in July.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'