Baby Death: Recalled Recliner Nap Nanny Claims 6th Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Nap Nanny Infant Recliner, already recalled as early as 2010 for the death of a 4-month-old baby, has claimed its sixth life.
The latest victim was a New Jersey 8-month-old baby girl who was found dead hanging over the device, trapped between the Nap Nanny and her crib bumper.
Britain's Prince George is seen while being carried by his mother Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, during a Plunket nurse and parents' group event at Government House in Wellington April 9, 2014.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there have been at least 92 incident reports involving the Nap Nanny and Nap Nanny Chill products from 2009 to June 2013.
Of those, five had died.
"Our Safe to Sleep experts urge all parents and caregivers who own a Nap Nanny or Nap Nanny Chill recliner to stop using it immediately," CPSC said in a press release. "We do not want any other family to suffer the loss of their child or experience serious injury to their child."
According to CPSC, safety problems with the Nap Nanny have been explained in recalls, a safety blog, and a legal settlement against the now out-of-business firm since 2010.
Deaths from using the Nap Nanny Infant Recliner occurs in two ways:
- The baby partly falls or hangs over the side of a Nap Nanny and gets trapped between the product and crib bumpers;
- The baby suffocates on the inside of the Nap Nanny.
"Nap Nanny recliners should no longer be sold in stores, but stay away from them at yard sales, as a hand-me-down gifts or on an online auction site. CPSC is aware of parents posting online about how much they like these products, but the products are hazardous and it is illegal to sell or resell them," the group said.
As many as 30,000 Nap Nanny portable baby recliners were recalled in 2010.
"Our concern at CPSC is for the safety of any baby placed inside this product. Deaths have happened in both the Generation 2 (Gen 2) and Chill models of the Nap Nanny."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance