Baby Death: Recalled Recliner Nap Nanny Claims 6th Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Nap Nanny Infant Recliner, already recalled as early as 2010 for the death of a 4-month-old baby, has claimed its sixth life.
The latest victim was a New Jersey 8-month-old baby girl who was found dead hanging over the device, trapped between the Nap Nanny and her crib bumper.
Britain's Prince George is seen while being carried by his mother Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, during a Plunket nurse and parents' group event at Government House in Wellington April 9, 2014.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there have been at least 92 incident reports involving the Nap Nanny and Nap Nanny Chill products from 2009 to June 2013.
Of those, five had died.
"Our Safe to Sleep experts urge all parents and caregivers who own a Nap Nanny or Nap Nanny Chill recliner to stop using it immediately," CPSC said in a press release. "We do not want any other family to suffer the loss of their child or experience serious injury to their child."
According to CPSC, safety problems with the Nap Nanny have been explained in recalls, a safety blog, and a legal settlement against the now out-of-business firm since 2010.
Deaths from using the Nap Nanny Infant Recliner occurs in two ways:
- The baby partly falls or hangs over the side of a Nap Nanny and gets trapped between the product and crib bumpers;
- The baby suffocates on the inside of the Nap Nanny.
"Nap Nanny recliners should no longer be sold in stores, but stay away from them at yard sales, as a hand-me-down gifts or on an online auction site. CPSC is aware of parents posting online about how much they like these products, but the products are hazardous and it is illegal to sell or resell them," the group said.
As many as 30,000 Nap Nanny portable baby recliners were recalled in 2010.
"Our concern at CPSC is for the safety of any baby placed inside this product. Deaths have happened in both the Generation 2 (Gen 2) and Chill models of the Nap Nanny."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'