Baby Death: Recalled Recliner Nap Nanny Claims 6th Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Nap Nanny Infant Recliner, already recalled as early as 2010 for the death of a 4-month-old baby, has claimed its sixth life.
The latest victim was a New Jersey 8-month-old baby girl who was found dead hanging over the device, trapped between the Nap Nanny and her crib bumper.
Britain's Prince George is seen while being carried by his mother Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, during a Plunket nurse and parents' group event at Government House in Wellington April 9, 2014.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there have been at least 92 incident reports involving the Nap Nanny and Nap Nanny Chill products from 2009 to June 2013.
Of those, five had died.
"Our Safe to Sleep experts urge all parents and caregivers who own a Nap Nanny or Nap Nanny Chill recliner to stop using it immediately," CPSC said in a press release. "We do not want any other family to suffer the loss of their child or experience serious injury to their child."
According to CPSC, safety problems with the Nap Nanny have been explained in recalls, a safety blog, and a legal settlement against the now out-of-business firm since 2010.
Deaths from using the Nap Nanny Infant Recliner occurs in two ways:
- The baby partly falls or hangs over the side of a Nap Nanny and gets trapped between the product and crib bumpers;
- The baby suffocates on the inside of the Nap Nanny.
"Nap Nanny recliners should no longer be sold in stores, but stay away from them at yard sales, as a hand-me-down gifts or on an online auction site. CPSC is aware of parents posting online about how much they like these products, but the products are hazardous and it is illegal to sell or resell them," the group said.
As many as 30,000 Nap Nanny portable baby recliners were recalled in 2010.
"Our concern at CPSC is for the safety of any baby placed inside this product. Deaths have happened in both the Generation 2 (Gen 2) and Chill models of the Nap Nanny."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report