Baby Death: Recalled Recliner Nap Nanny Claims 6th Life
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 2:54 PM EST
Nap Nanny Infant Recliner, already recalled as early as 2010 for the death of a 4-month-old baby, has claimed its sixth life.
The latest victim was a New Jersey 8-month-old baby girl who was found dead hanging over the device, trapped between the Nap Nanny and her crib bumper.
Britain's Prince George is seen while being carried by his mother Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, during a Plunket nurse and parents' group event at Government House in Wellington April 9, 2014.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there have been at least 92 incident reports involving the Nap Nanny and Nap Nanny Chill products from 2009 to June 2013.
Of those, five had died.
"Our Safe to Sleep experts urge all parents and caregivers who own a Nap Nanny or Nap Nanny Chill recliner to stop using it immediately," CPSC said in a press release. "We do not want any other family to suffer the loss of their child or experience serious injury to their child."
According to CPSC, safety problems with the Nap Nanny have been explained in recalls, a safety blog, and a legal settlement against the now out-of-business firm since 2010.
Deaths from using the Nap Nanny Infant Recliner occurs in two ways:
- The baby partly falls or hangs over the side of a Nap Nanny and gets trapped between the product and crib bumpers;
- The baby suffocates on the inside of the Nap Nanny.
"Nap Nanny recliners should no longer be sold in stores, but stay away from them at yard sales, as a hand-me-down gifts or on an online auction site. CPSC is aware of parents posting online about how much they like these products, but the products are hazardous and it is illegal to sell or resell them," the group said.
As many as 30,000 Nap Nanny portable baby recliners were recalled in 2010.
"Our concern at CPSC is for the safety of any baby placed inside this product. Deaths have happened in both the Generation 2 (Gen 2) and Chill models of the Nap Nanny."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers