‘Game of Thrones’ Fast Facts that Will Make Anyone Watch the Epic Series
June 2, 2014 2:54 PM EST
‘Game of Thrones’: Fast Facts That Will Make You Watch The Epic Series
One of HBO's highest rating shows, epic fantasy series "Game of Thrones" is making a lot of buzz whether on its much nudity, ensemble cast and breathtaking locations. Now with two more episodes left on its season 4, the show's episode 8 epic duel between The Viper and The Mountain gained a lot of excited viewers who want to know the fate of Tyrion after Oberyn Martell volunteered to be his champion.
A television adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" novels, the show never fails to bring the key elements of the book into life and into the television screen. Since the start of the show in 2011, "Game of Thrones" managed to boosts tourism in their various filming locations including Northern Ireland, Malta, Croatia, Morocco, Iceland and Scotland.
Here are the 10 amazing facts that will make fans and non-believers watch the epic series.
1. Filmed in three continents and six countries, "Game of Thrones" is one of the most expensive shows on television. Season 2's "Blackwater" war between the Lannisters and Stannis Baratheon has a reported price tag of $8 million, with an $6 million coast on average episode.
2. Compared to other shows like "Walking Dead" and "True Blood" with 14 to 20 writers working in the script, GOT never had more than six members in the writers' room. Aside from the author and showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the show has used "Divergent" screen writer Vanessa Taylor, executive story editor Bryan Cogman and producer Jane Espenson.
3. The sky-rocketing budget of the show has been compared to HBO series "Rome."
4. Series creators Benioff and Weiss convinced Martin to let them adapt his novel by answering one of the book's most important question: "Who is Jon Snow's mother?"
5. Alfie Allen who plays Ramsay Snow's pet Rick/Theon Greyjoy is Lilly Allen's brother.
6. A veteran screenwriter himself, Martin is the one of the show's executive producer and writes one episode per season. To finish the five novels of the his seven-book series, the acclaimed writer took 15 years to finish the first five and GOT creators plans to end the series in season 7 or 8, even if Martin finish the two remaining books or not.
7. Known for the show's explicit sex scenes, showrunners had to hire female porn stars for supporting roles, while others are prostitutes to play as women in the bar and other roles that required nudity.
8. Benioff and Weiss added some scenes that were not in the books, including Robb Stark's pregnant wife, Talisa, to the infamous "Red Wedding" and the recent controversial scene between Cersei and Jaime Lannister.
9. Because of its worldwide poupularity, GOT is the most pirated show on the television today. According to BitTorrent, GOT season 3 finale managed to gain "5.9 million downloads via BitTorrent, the 2013 season finale has beat the competition by a landslide."
10. To make "Game of Thrones" more authentic, the show hired linguist David J. Peterson, founder of the language Creation Society, to develop a new language. Now, Dothraki and Valyrian is a full, grammatical language that actors could actually use to communicate.
11. Known for his role as Tyrion Lannister, Peter Dinklage became the show's top-billed star after winning Primetime Emmy Award for Oustanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.
12. Tamzin Merchant was first cast to play Daenerys Targaryen in the show's pilot episode, but producers decided to reshoot the entire pilot and recast five leads roles, including Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark and Emilia Clark as the Mother of Dragons.
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert