French Open Men's Singles Results and Second Week Preview
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 2:45 PM EST
The second week of the 2014 French Open in Roland Garros is well under way. The biggest news so far is the upset of Former World No. 1 Roger Federer in the hands of Ernesto Gulbis. This would be Federer's first absence in the second week after a decade. Third seed Stan Wawrinka was also taken out early in the first round in the hands of Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia stretches out to return a shot to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France during their men's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 1, 2014.
The lower half of the draw already played their fourth round matches on Sunday and while Federer failed to make it to the quarter-finals, Second seed Novak Djokovic breezed through his fourth round match against Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, dashing French hopes of seeing Tsonga deep into the second week.
Novak Djokovic (2) def. Jo-Wilfred Tsonga (13) 6-1, 6-4, 6-1
Djokovic will be facing Milos Raonic from Canada in the quarter-finals. Meanwhile, Gulbis will be going up against Thomas Berdych who skipped over John Isner from the USA.
Thomas Berdych def. John Isner 6-4, 6-4, 6-4
The remaining fourth round matches will feature World no. 1 and defending French Open champion Rafael Nadal against Dusan Lajovic of Serbia. If he wins, he will be setting up a quarter final match against countryman David Ferrer who will also be the favourite to win his fourth round match against Kevin Anderson of South Africa.
The lone standing Frenchman and home town hope would be Gael Monfils who will be battling it out in the fourth round against Guillermo Garcia-Lopez. The winner of that match will then go up against the victor of the Fernando Verdasco and Andy Murray battle.
It's getting down to the business end of things in Roland Garros and so far, Nadal is on track to defend his title but is now about to face the real tests in the competition after having a relatively easy first week. The pretenders to the crown are all gearing up for the chance to out the eight-time winner.
Milos Raonic def. Marcel Granollers 6-3, 6-3, 6-3
Rafael Nadal def. Leonardo Mayer 6-2, 7-5, 6-2
Dusan Lajovic def. Jack Sock 6-4, 7-5, 6-3
Kevin Anderson def. Ivo Karlovic 6-3 (ret.)
David Ferrer def. Andreas Seppi 6-2, 7-6(2), 6-3
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez def. Donald Young 6-2, 6-4, 2-6, 6(4)-7, 6-4
Gael Monfils def. Fabio Fognini 5-7, 6-2, 6-4, 0-6, 6-2
For detailed brackets and results, check the Official French Open Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier