French Open Men's Singles Results and Second Week Preview
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 2, 2014 2:45 PM EST
The second week of the 2014 French Open in Roland Garros is well under way. The biggest news so far is the upset of Former World No. 1 Roger Federer in the hands of Ernesto Gulbis. This would be Federer's first absence in the second week after a decade. Third seed Stan Wawrinka was also taken out early in the first round in the hands of Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia stretches out to return a shot to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France during their men's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 1, 2014.
The lower half of the draw already played their fourth round matches on Sunday and while Federer failed to make it to the quarter-finals, Second seed Novak Djokovic breezed through his fourth round match against Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, dashing French hopes of seeing Tsonga deep into the second week.
Novak Djokovic (2) def. Jo-Wilfred Tsonga (13) 6-1, 6-4, 6-1
Djokovic will be facing Milos Raonic from Canada in the quarter-finals. Meanwhile, Gulbis will be going up against Thomas Berdych who skipped over John Isner from the USA.
Thomas Berdych def. John Isner 6-4, 6-4, 6-4
The remaining fourth round matches will feature World no. 1 and defending French Open champion Rafael Nadal against Dusan Lajovic of Serbia. If he wins, he will be setting up a quarter final match against countryman David Ferrer who will also be the favourite to win his fourth round match against Kevin Anderson of South Africa.
The lone standing Frenchman and home town hope would be Gael Monfils who will be battling it out in the fourth round against Guillermo Garcia-Lopez. The winner of that match will then go up against the victor of the Fernando Verdasco and Andy Murray battle.
It's getting down to the business end of things in Roland Garros and so far, Nadal is on track to defend his title but is now about to face the real tests in the competition after having a relatively easy first week. The pretenders to the crown are all gearing up for the chance to out the eight-time winner.
Milos Raonic def. Marcel Granollers 6-3, 6-3, 6-3
Rafael Nadal def. Leonardo Mayer 6-2, 7-5, 6-2
Dusan Lajovic def. Jack Sock 6-4, 7-5, 6-3
Kevin Anderson def. Ivo Karlovic 6-3 (ret.)
David Ferrer def. Andreas Seppi 6-2, 7-6(2), 6-3
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez def. Donald Young 6-2, 6-4, 2-6, 6(4)-7, 6-4
Gael Monfils def. Fabio Fognini 5-7, 6-2, 6-4, 0-6, 6-2
For detailed brackets and results, check the Official French Open Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James