Justin Bieber Apologises for Racist Joke; Calls it a ‘Reckless and Immature Mistake’
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 2, 2014 1:34 PM EST
Justin Bieber has spoken up at last. A new report claims that the young pop superstar has finally apologised for the racist joke he made when he was 15.
Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber arrives for amfAR's Cinema Against AIDS 2014 event in Antibes during the 67th Cannes Film Festival May 22, 2014.
TMZ reported that the now 20-year-old singer is apologising, though partly blaming his age for the joke. Bieber told the celebrity news Web site that at a young age he didn't understand how words can hurt people.
"Five years ago I made a reckless and immature mistake and I'm grateful to those close to me who helped me learn those lessons as a young man," Justin Bieber tells TMZ.
"Once again....I'm sorry," Bieber concludes.
The racist joke has been made five years ago in a recently surfaced video wherein Bieber used the N-word, particularly pertaining to black people. The said video was published by British publication The Sun.
Reports claim that the video was shot as part of a concert documentary for "Never Say Never," and Bieber is said to have tried to buy the video for a large sum to keep it from the public, but to no avail.
Bieber has started his career at a young age, posting videos online of him performing. Information around the Web claims that Scooter Braun, a marketing executive, was the one who discovered the Canadian star.
Since Bieber's first album was released in 2009, which was certified platinum in the U.S., under Usher's record label, the young Canadian star has not stopped making a name. Fans all around the world has welcomed the new star openly, making Bieber's single "Baby" featuring Ludacris a hit, with more than a billion views on YouTube.
But the 20-year-old superstar's career has not been smooth sailing since he started gracing the headlines with negative news.
According to Daily Mail, the said racist joke may damage Bieber's career as it appears that the singer is currently signed to RBMG Records under the black singer, songwriter and "The Voice" coach Usher and has performed with several black artists throughout his singing career.
No reports yet on how Usher and other black artists close to the star react to the racist joke.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28