Justin Bieber Apologises for Racist Joke; Calls it a ‘Reckless and Immature Mistake’
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 2, 2014 1:34 PM EST
Justin Bieber has spoken up at last. A new report claims that the young pop superstar has finally apologised for the racist joke he made when he was 15.
Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber arrives for amfAR's Cinema Against AIDS 2014 event in Antibes during the 67th Cannes Film Festival May 22, 2014.
TMZ reported that the now 20-year-old singer is apologising, though partly blaming his age for the joke. Bieber told the celebrity news Web site that at a young age he didn't understand how words can hurt people.
"Five years ago I made a reckless and immature mistake and I'm grateful to those close to me who helped me learn those lessons as a young man," Justin Bieber tells TMZ.
"Once again....I'm sorry," Bieber concludes.
The racist joke has been made five years ago in a recently surfaced video wherein Bieber used the N-word, particularly pertaining to black people. The said video was published by British publication The Sun.
Reports claim that the video was shot as part of a concert documentary for "Never Say Never," and Bieber is said to have tried to buy the video for a large sum to keep it from the public, but to no avail.
Bieber has started his career at a young age, posting videos online of him performing. Information around the Web claims that Scooter Braun, a marketing executive, was the one who discovered the Canadian star.
Since Bieber's first album was released in 2009, which was certified platinum in the U.S., under Usher's record label, the young Canadian star has not stopped making a name. Fans all around the world has welcomed the new star openly, making Bieber's single "Baby" featuring Ludacris a hit, with more than a billion views on YouTube.
But the 20-year-old superstar's career has not been smooth sailing since he started gracing the headlines with negative news.
According to Daily Mail, the said racist joke may damage Bieber's career as it appears that the singer is currently signed to RBMG Records under the black singer, songwriter and "The Voice" coach Usher and has performed with several black artists throughout his singing career.
No reports yet on how Usher and other black artists close to the star react to the racist joke.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists