Top 10 Features and Changes of Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update for Sony Xperia Z Smartphones and Tablets
By Ryan Inoyori | June 2, 2014 12:54 PM EST
Sony Mobile has started the rollout of Android 4.4.2 KitKat among the Xperia Z series which contains the latest Android features, new Xperia Home UI and new camera modes. If you haven't updated your device, check out the details presented by Sony.
All devices under the Xperia Z series are now receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony Mobile. It includes Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
In the coming months, Sony Mobile plans to initiate rollout for newer devices such as Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Changes
Several changes and features have been included on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat that are designed to optimise function and system performance for all compatible Xperia devices.
1. Google's Android 4.4.2 KitKat: Default goodies for all devices such as improved speed and performance, and optimisation on the user interface.
2. Sony PlayStation UI: Get the latest user interface add-on based on PlayStation 4 such as launch animation and live wallpaper on the lock and home screens.
3. Revamped on Status Bar and Notifications Shade: More intuitive and customisable status bar, Quick Settings and notifications shade.
4. Updated Sony Apps: Receive the latest software version for Sony's native apps including new tweaks and improved user interface for Messaging, Email and Smart Social Camera.
5. Smart Social Camera: Enables to download additional camera modes using the Sony Select app or via Google Play Store.
6. Unique Camera Modes: Access to unique camera modes such as Timeshift Burst and Creative Video Effect.
7. Improved Power Manager: New version of STAMINA mode and additional power management tool to set the syncing of background data of apps in intervals rather than simultaneously.
8. Sony Media Apps: New version of Sony's integrated media apps such as WALKMAN, Movies and Album, and Sony Entertainment Network.
9. More Customisations: Change the theme of your Xperia smartphone or tablet using Xperia Themes by downloading files from the Play Store or Sony Select.
10. Sony SmartWear Experience: Compatibility with Sony's SmartWear devices such as SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app.
How to Get the Latest Firmware
Most of the firmware updates are downloadable using the Sony PC Companion for Windows computers, Sony Bridge for MAC and Sony Update Service. Install the appropriate program for your machine, connect your smartphone using a USB cable then launch the program. A notification will appear about a new firmware.
For others, a built-in software update app called Update Centre is also usable for firmware updates. Go to App Menu > Update Centre or go to Settings > About Phone > Software Updates. However, most rollouts are released via Sony PC suites installed on computers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports