Top 10 Features and Changes of Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update for Sony Xperia Z Smartphones and Tablets
By Ryan Inoyori | June 2, 2014 12:54 PM EST
Sony Mobile has started the rollout of Android 4.4.2 KitKat among the Xperia Z series which contains the latest Android features, new Xperia Home UI and new camera modes. If you haven't updated your device, check out the details presented by Sony.
All devices under the Xperia Z series are now receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony Mobile. It includes Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
In the coming months, Sony Mobile plans to initiate rollout for newer devices such as Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Changes
Several changes and features have been included on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat that are designed to optimise function and system performance for all compatible Xperia devices.
1. Google's Android 4.4.2 KitKat: Default goodies for all devices such as improved speed and performance, and optimisation on the user interface.
2. Sony PlayStation UI: Get the latest user interface add-on based on PlayStation 4 such as launch animation and live wallpaper on the lock and home screens.
3. Revamped on Status Bar and Notifications Shade: More intuitive and customisable status bar, Quick Settings and notifications shade.
4. Updated Sony Apps: Receive the latest software version for Sony's native apps including new tweaks and improved user interface for Messaging, Email and Smart Social Camera.
5. Smart Social Camera: Enables to download additional camera modes using the Sony Select app or via Google Play Store.
6. Unique Camera Modes: Access to unique camera modes such as Timeshift Burst and Creative Video Effect.
7. Improved Power Manager: New version of STAMINA mode and additional power management tool to set the syncing of background data of apps in intervals rather than simultaneously.
8. Sony Media Apps: New version of Sony's integrated media apps such as WALKMAN, Movies and Album, and Sony Entertainment Network.
9. More Customisations: Change the theme of your Xperia smartphone or tablet using Xperia Themes by downloading files from the Play Store or Sony Select.
10. Sony SmartWear Experience: Compatibility with Sony's SmartWear devices such as SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app.
How to Get the Latest Firmware
Most of the firmware updates are downloadable using the Sony PC Companion for Windows computers, Sony Bridge for MAC and Sony Update Service. Install the appropriate program for your machine, connect your smartphone using a USB cable then launch the program. A notification will appear about a new firmware.
For others, a built-in software update app called Update Centre is also usable for firmware updates. Go to App Menu > Update Centre or go to Settings > About Phone > Software Updates. However, most rollouts are released via Sony PC suites installed on computers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones