Top 10 Features and Changes of Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update for Sony Xperia Z Smartphones and Tablets
By Ryan Inoyori | June 2, 2014 12:54 PM EST
Sony Mobile has started the rollout of Android 4.4.2 KitKat among the Xperia Z series which contains the latest Android features, new Xperia Home UI and new camera modes. If you haven't updated your device, check out the details presented by Sony.
All devices under the Xperia Z series are now receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony Mobile. It includes Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z.
In the coming months, Sony Mobile plans to initiate rollout for newer devices such as Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Changes
Several changes and features have been included on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat that are designed to optimise function and system performance for all compatible Xperia devices.
1. Google's Android 4.4.2 KitKat: Default goodies for all devices such as improved speed and performance, and optimisation on the user interface.
2. Sony PlayStation UI: Get the latest user interface add-on based on PlayStation 4 such as launch animation and live wallpaper on the lock and home screens.
3. Revamped on Status Bar and Notifications Shade: More intuitive and customisable status bar, Quick Settings and notifications shade.
4. Updated Sony Apps: Receive the latest software version for Sony's native apps including new tweaks and improved user interface for Messaging, Email and Smart Social Camera.
5. Smart Social Camera: Enables to download additional camera modes using the Sony Select app or via Google Play Store.
6. Unique Camera Modes: Access to unique camera modes such as Timeshift Burst and Creative Video Effect.
7. Improved Power Manager: New version of STAMINA mode and additional power management tool to set the syncing of background data of apps in intervals rather than simultaneously.
8. Sony Media Apps: New version of Sony's integrated media apps such as WALKMAN, Movies and Album, and Sony Entertainment Network.
9. More Customisations: Change the theme of your Xperia smartphone or tablet using Xperia Themes by downloading files from the Play Store or Sony Select.
10. Sony SmartWear Experience: Compatibility with Sony's SmartWear devices such as SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app.
How to Get the Latest Firmware
Most of the firmware updates are downloadable using the Sony PC Companion for Windows computers, Sony Bridge for MAC and Sony Update Service. Install the appropriate program for your machine, connect your smartphone using a USB cable then launch the program. A notification will appear about a new firmware.
For others, a built-in software update app called Update Centre is also usable for firmware updates. Go to App Menu > Update Centre or go to Settings > About Phone > Software Updates. However, most rollouts are released via Sony PC suites installed on computers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar