Travel Advisory: Canadian Riders of GO Bus Advised to Brace for Commuter Chaos on Monday
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Canadian commuters of GO transit buses have been advised to brace for public transport chaos as the passenger line mulls pushing through its strike threat this midnight. Nearly 53,000 people are believed to be affected by the travel mayhem.
As of Sunday, members of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1587 and Metrolinx have yet to settle differences and come up with a new collective agreement. Both sides were still at the bargaining table as late as 8 pm on Sunday, Newstalk1010 reported.
Around 1,800 GO bus drivers, ticket sellers, maintenance and safety personnel, and some office staff are expected to join the work stoppage.
"It's going to have a huge impact on our customers and for that we are very sorry," Anne Marie Aikins, Metrolinx spokesperson, said, as she urged commuters to scout options such as taking local transit, bicycling, carpooling or working from home once the strike pursues.
"I'll have to take the Greyhound [bus]," Rahul Mulse told CTV News. "I have to come back to [Waterloo Region] tomorrow and [GO] is kind of the only way I know how to come back."
Aikins said GO Transit hasn't had a strike in its 47 year history. "We hope to avert one this time as well," she said. "I'm ready and hopeful that we'll be able to announce that we've reached a settlement."
Dan Harris, ATU president, said all they want is just a fair deal. "The union's intention is to continue to negotiate to get a fair collective agreement."
"We don't know where the pickets will be held, whether they'll hold up customers," Aikins said Sunday. "So we're asking all of our customers to plan ahead, to make sure they're informed, leave themselves plenty of time to travel."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28