Travel Advisory: Canadian Riders of GO Bus Advised to Brace for Commuter Chaos on Monday
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Canadian commuters of GO transit buses have been advised to brace for public transport chaos as the passenger line mulls pushing through its strike threat this midnight. Nearly 53,000 people are believed to be affected by the travel mayhem.
As of Sunday, members of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1587 and Metrolinx have yet to settle differences and come up with a new collective agreement. Both sides were still at the bargaining table as late as 8 pm on Sunday, Newstalk1010 reported.
Around 1,800 GO bus drivers, ticket sellers, maintenance and safety personnel, and some office staff are expected to join the work stoppage.
"It's going to have a huge impact on our customers and for that we are very sorry," Anne Marie Aikins, Metrolinx spokesperson, said, as she urged commuters to scout options such as taking local transit, bicycling, carpooling or working from home once the strike pursues.
"I'll have to take the Greyhound [bus]," Rahul Mulse told CTV News. "I have to come back to [Waterloo Region] tomorrow and [GO] is kind of the only way I know how to come back."
Aikins said GO Transit hasn't had a strike in its 47 year history. "We hope to avert one this time as well," she said. "I'm ready and hopeful that we'll be able to announce that we've reached a settlement."
Dan Harris, ATU president, said all they want is just a fair deal. "The union's intention is to continue to negotiate to get a fair collective agreement."
"We don't know where the pickets will be held, whether they'll hold up customers," Aikins said Sunday. "So we're asking all of our customers to plan ahead, to make sure they're informed, leave themselves plenty of time to travel."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World