Travel Advisory: Canadian Riders of GO Bus Advised to Brace for Commuter Chaos on Monday
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Canadian commuters of GO transit buses have been advised to brace for public transport chaos as the passenger line mulls pushing through its strike threat this midnight. Nearly 53,000 people are believed to be affected by the travel mayhem.
As of Sunday, members of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1587 and Metrolinx have yet to settle differences and come up with a new collective agreement. Both sides were still at the bargaining table as late as 8 pm on Sunday, Newstalk1010 reported.
Around 1,800 GO bus drivers, ticket sellers, maintenance and safety personnel, and some office staff are expected to join the work stoppage.
"It's going to have a huge impact on our customers and for that we are very sorry," Anne Marie Aikins, Metrolinx spokesperson, said, as she urged commuters to scout options such as taking local transit, bicycling, carpooling or working from home once the strike pursues.
"I'll have to take the Greyhound [bus]," Rahul Mulse told CTV News. "I have to come back to [Waterloo Region] tomorrow and [GO] is kind of the only way I know how to come back."
Aikins said GO Transit hasn't had a strike in its 47 year history. "We hope to avert one this time as well," she said. "I'm ready and hopeful that we'll be able to announce that we've reached a settlement."
Dan Harris, ATU president, said all they want is just a fair deal. "The union's intention is to continue to negotiate to get a fair collective agreement."
"We don't know where the pickets will be held, whether they'll hold up customers," Aikins said Sunday. "So we're asking all of our customers to plan ahead, to make sure they're informed, leave themselves plenty of time to travel."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Fairfax Chief Executive Greg Hywood Reiterates Commitment to Radio; No Merger With Macquarie Radio
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More