Travel Advisory: Canadian Riders of GO Bus Advised to Brace for Commuter Chaos on Monday
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Canadian commuters of GO transit buses have been advised to brace for public transport chaos as the passenger line mulls pushing through its strike threat this midnight. Nearly 53,000 people are believed to be affected by the travel mayhem.
As of Sunday, members of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1587 and Metrolinx have yet to settle differences and come up with a new collective agreement. Both sides were still at the bargaining table as late as 8 pm on Sunday, Newstalk1010 reported.
Around 1,800 GO bus drivers, ticket sellers, maintenance and safety personnel, and some office staff are expected to join the work stoppage.
"It's going to have a huge impact on our customers and for that we are very sorry," Anne Marie Aikins, Metrolinx spokesperson, said, as she urged commuters to scout options such as taking local transit, bicycling, carpooling or working from home once the strike pursues.
"I'll have to take the Greyhound [bus]," Rahul Mulse told CTV News. "I have to come back to [Waterloo Region] tomorrow and [GO] is kind of the only way I know how to come back."
Aikins said GO Transit hasn't had a strike in its 47 year history. "We hope to avert one this time as well," she said. "I'm ready and hopeful that we'll be able to announce that we've reached a settlement."
Dan Harris, ATU president, said all they want is just a fair deal. "The union's intention is to continue to negotiate to get a fair collective agreement."
"We don't know where the pickets will be held, whether they'll hold up customers," Aikins said Sunday. "So we're asking all of our customers to plan ahead, to make sure they're informed, leave themselves plenty of time to travel."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock EPS Raised to $7.67 Per Share; Apple Pay Could Be Promising in Australia
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up