Travel Advisory: Canadian Riders of GO Bus Advised to Brace for Commuter Chaos on Monday
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 2, 2014 12:42 PM EST
Canadian commuters of GO transit buses have been advised to brace for public transport chaos as the passenger line mulls pushing through its strike threat this midnight. Nearly 53,000 people are believed to be affected by the travel mayhem.
As of Sunday, members of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1587 and Metrolinx have yet to settle differences and come up with a new collective agreement. Both sides were still at the bargaining table as late as 8 pm on Sunday, Newstalk1010 reported.
Around 1,800 GO bus drivers, ticket sellers, maintenance and safety personnel, and some office staff are expected to join the work stoppage.
"It's going to have a huge impact on our customers and for that we are very sorry," Anne Marie Aikins, Metrolinx spokesperson, said, as she urged commuters to scout options such as taking local transit, bicycling, carpooling or working from home once the strike pursues.
"I'll have to take the Greyhound [bus]," Rahul Mulse told CTV News. "I have to come back to [Waterloo Region] tomorrow and [GO] is kind of the only way I know how to come back."
Aikins said GO Transit hasn't had a strike in its 47 year history. "We hope to avert one this time as well," she said. "I'm ready and hopeful that we'll be able to announce that we've reached a settlement."
Dan Harris, ATU president, said all they want is just a fair deal. "The union's intention is to continue to negotiate to get a fair collective agreement."
"We don't know where the pickets will be held, whether they'll hold up customers," Aikins said Sunday. "So we're asking all of our customers to plan ahead, to make sure they're informed, leave themselves plenty of time to travel."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate