Pharell Williams Will Never be a Feminist, Celebrities Who are Not Feminists
June 2, 2014 11:28 AM EST
Pharell Williams Will Never Be a Feminist, Celebrities Who are Not Feminists
The fight for women's rights has gone a long way since the bygone era when women do not have even have some of the basic rights that are being enjoyed right now. However, "The Voice" Season 7 coach Pharell Williams will never be a feminist but supports the movement. The singer was grilled in an interview with Channel 4 News presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy in various controversies surrounding Pharell's hit songs "Happy" and "Blurred Lines."
The singer was asked about how he can never be a feminist but expresses his views on the inequality that women face. He strongly distances himself in being labelled as one and that he is not trying to be an activist but views this as an opportunity to "touch upon" the subject.
"I've been asked am I a feminist? I don't think it's possible for me to be that," the singer said. When probed on why he does not think of himself as a feminist he explains that he is a man. "I'm a man. I mean it kinda does make sense up until a certain point. But what I do is - I do support feminists," added Pharell.
Pharell is not the only one who expressed that men cannot be a full feminist because they are men. Pro-feminism exists for supporters of the movement who do not actively join the movement and is often referred to men, according to Wikipedia. The age-old debate on feminism is certainly one that is being participated actively by both men and women.
Several men and women celebrities have also expressed their views on feminism and Pharell is not the only one who does not want to be associated with the term "feminist" even though he firmly supports equality and women empowerment.
The "Divergent" star Shailene Woodley is one the female public figures who recently declared she is not feminist. She joins the ranks of Sarah Jessica Parker, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift and Kelly Clarkson. Some of these female celebrities have expressed that they support the cause but the term "feminist" has a strong and radical connotation that they not want to be included in it.
Pharell Williams defends the line "I Know You Want It" in the song "Blurred Lines" because he believes that even good girls have naughty thoughts. He may not be a feminist but he openly shared his opinion on voting Hilary Clinton for president saying, "I'd love to see a woman run the country."
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate