FIFA World Cup 2014 Analysis & Predictions: Group D – Uruguay, Costa Rica, England & Italy
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 2, 2014 9:46 AM EST
Teams Qualified: Costa Rica (1) & Uruguay (2)
Here is the fourth instalment of the "Analysis & Predictions" series of the FIFA World Cup 2014. There are only 10 days before the gala event takes place. Today we are going to analyse Group D and showcase our predictions for the group. Let's look at the possibilities of Group D.
Italy's national soccer team players Ciro Immobile (L), Mario Balotelli and Andrea Barzagli (R) relax during a training session at Coverciano training centre near Florence May 28, 2014.
Teams in the group
Uruguay, Costa Rica, England & Italy are in Group D which is the "group of death" in this year's world cup. There are reasons to believe so. Out of four teams in the group, there are three of them who are former world cup winners. Uruguay is the highest ranked teams in the group, standing at the 7th position at the moment. Italy is ranked 9th and England 10th. Costa Rica is, however, far behind at 28 in the FIFA world ranking.
Morale of the teams
Uruguay has come to the tournament after winning the Copa América, the South American continental championship. Their morale must be sky high. Italy, on the other hand, finished only second at the previous occasion of the UEFA European Championship. England is, however, not far behind as it qualified for the World Cup 2014 without suffering a single defeat. While Costa Rica is the underdog in the group, history suggests that it can upset bigger teams. In 1990 when it qualified for the first time, it defeated Sweden and Scotland in the group stage, finishing second only to Brazil.
Players on the spotlight
Uruguay: Diego Forlan, Edinson Cavani & Luis Suarez
Costa Rica: Brian Ruiz & Joel Campbell
England: Wayne Rooney, Jack Wilshere & Daniel Sturridge
Italy: Mario Balotelli, Giuseppe Rossi & Claudio Marchisio
There can be multiple turning points in the group. However, if I have to choose one, the match between Italy and England will be a turning point. This game may well be one of the most violent matches in the tournament. With both teams having several players famous for their volatile temperament, expect a lot of booking. While it is extremely difficult to separate the two, it is Mario Balotelli who will make all the difference. Predicting a 3-2 result for the crucial match, I put Italy inches forward in the game.
Italy will win all three. It is Uruguay which will come in the second position. The Italy-England match will turn out to be the end for England as it will lose against Uruguay as well. There is not much Costa Rica can do in the group. It will lose all three matches it will play. So, it will be Columbia-Uruguay and Italy-Japan in the “Round of 16.”
What's your prediction? Use the comment section to tell us about it.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report