‘The Voice Australia’ Recap: Katy Perry and Keith Urban’s Surprise Appearance
By Anne Lu | June 2, 2014 9:29 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” has surprised the contestants and viewers with the special appearance of Katy Perry and one-time coach Keith Urban on Sunday night.
Singer Katy Perry attends the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)'s 35th Anniversary Gala presented by Louis Vuitton at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA in Los Angeles, California March 29, 2014. REUTERS/Jonathan
It was battle rounds once again, which means there were a few contestants who were kicked out of the competition.
For the first round, coach Kylie Minogue pitted Tom Oliver against John Lingard, with the two singing “Counting Stars” by One Republic. While both singers appear to do well, it was John who was saved by their mentor because of his “potential.”
Team Ricky Martin then saw Lionel Cole going head to head Sabrina Batshon in singing “Beauty and the Beast.” Sabrina’s soulful rendition to the Disney classic prompted Ricky to save her over Lionel, who insisted that he wanted to be free from being just “that guy’s nephew.”
“That guy” was, of course, the legendary Nat King Cole.
Fortunately for him, the other coaches – Kylie, Joell Madden and will.i.am – chose to use their saves to keep him in the show. Lionel then chose to join Kylie’s team after.
Joel then had Harry Healy go against Frank Lakoudis from his team. They both rocked “Under the Bridge” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but Joel went with Frank because he has “unbridled, uncaged, exciting” quality in him. That sadly meant the end of “The Voice” road for Harry.
Again in Team Ricky, Carley Yelayotis and C Major went on a duet with Rihanna’s “Where Have You Been,” which didn’t exactly thrill the coaches. Still, will.i.am called the pair “ferocious.”
Ricky saved C Major, leaving Carly being snatched by Will in joining his team.
Duo ZK easily took on Tasha Amoroso with their rendition of Mumford and Sons’ “The Cave.” The coaches sided with ZK, despite the pair’s earlier disclaimer that the “song is not us.” Tasha was then eliminated.
Hayley Jensen and Kat Jade were next, singing Katy Perry’s “Roar.” But before they even made it to the stage, Katy herself appeared, giving them advice on how to sing her chart-topping hit. Her advice seemed to encourage the girls to belt out their best, leaving Kylie with the difficult choice of saving Kat over Hayley.
Even though Kylie asked Joel to save Hayley for her, Joel refused.
Former coach Keith Urban, who, along with Joel, was one of the original coaches of the show when it premiered in 2012, also made a surprise appearance. He returned on stage to sing his latest single, “Shame.”
With “American Idol” just recently aired its finale, Keith has time on his hands, telling everyone that he would be sticking around in the country for June.
The battle rounds will continue Monday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate