‘The Voice Australia’ Recap: Katy Perry and Keith Urban’s Surprise Appearance
By Anne Lu | June 2, 2014 9:29 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” has surprised the contestants and viewers with the special appearance of Katy Perry and one-time coach Keith Urban on Sunday night.
Singer Katy Perry attends the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)'s 35th Anniversary Gala presented by Louis Vuitton at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA in Los Angeles, California March 29, 2014. REUTERS/Jonathan
It was battle rounds once again, which means there were a few contestants who were kicked out of the competition.
For the first round, coach Kylie Minogue pitted Tom Oliver against John Lingard, with the two singing “Counting Stars” by One Republic. While both singers appear to do well, it was John who was saved by their mentor because of his “potential.”
Team Ricky Martin then saw Lionel Cole going head to head Sabrina Batshon in singing “Beauty and the Beast.” Sabrina’s soulful rendition to the Disney classic prompted Ricky to save her over Lionel, who insisted that he wanted to be free from being just “that guy’s nephew.”
“That guy” was, of course, the legendary Nat King Cole.
Fortunately for him, the other coaches – Kylie, Joell Madden and will.i.am – chose to use their saves to keep him in the show. Lionel then chose to join Kylie’s team after.
Joel then had Harry Healy go against Frank Lakoudis from his team. They both rocked “Under the Bridge” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but Joel went with Frank because he has “unbridled, uncaged, exciting” quality in him. That sadly meant the end of “The Voice” road for Harry.
Again in Team Ricky, Carley Yelayotis and C Major went on a duet with Rihanna’s “Where Have You Been,” which didn’t exactly thrill the coaches. Still, will.i.am called the pair “ferocious.”
Ricky saved C Major, leaving Carly being snatched by Will in joining his team.
Duo ZK easily took on Tasha Amoroso with their rendition of Mumford and Sons’ “The Cave.” The coaches sided with ZK, despite the pair’s earlier disclaimer that the “song is not us.” Tasha was then eliminated.
Hayley Jensen and Kat Jade were next, singing Katy Perry’s “Roar.” But before they even made it to the stage, Katy herself appeared, giving them advice on how to sing her chart-topping hit. Her advice seemed to encourage the girls to belt out their best, leaving Kylie with the difficult choice of saving Kat over Hayley.
Even though Kylie asked Joel to save Hayley for her, Joel refused.
Former coach Keith Urban, who, along with Joel, was one of the original coaches of the show when it premiered in 2012, also made a surprise appearance. He returned on stage to sing his latest single, “Shame.”
With “American Idol” just recently aired its finale, Keith has time on his hands, telling everyone that he would be sticking around in the country for June.
The battle rounds will continue Monday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best