‘The Voice Australia’ Recap: Katy Perry and Keith Urban’s Surprise Appearance
By Anne Lu | June 2, 2014 9:29 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” has surprised the contestants and viewers with the special appearance of Katy Perry and one-time coach Keith Urban on Sunday night.
Singer Katy Perry attends the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)'s 35th Anniversary Gala presented by Louis Vuitton at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA in Los Angeles, California March 29, 2014. REUTERS/Jonathan
It was battle rounds once again, which means there were a few contestants who were kicked out of the competition.
For the first round, coach Kylie Minogue pitted Tom Oliver against John Lingard, with the two singing “Counting Stars” by One Republic. While both singers appear to do well, it was John who was saved by their mentor because of his “potential.”
Team Ricky Martin then saw Lionel Cole going head to head Sabrina Batshon in singing “Beauty and the Beast.” Sabrina’s soulful rendition to the Disney classic prompted Ricky to save her over Lionel, who insisted that he wanted to be free from being just “that guy’s nephew.”
“That guy” was, of course, the legendary Nat King Cole.
Fortunately for him, the other coaches – Kylie, Joell Madden and will.i.am – chose to use their saves to keep him in the show. Lionel then chose to join Kylie’s team after.
Joel then had Harry Healy go against Frank Lakoudis from his team. They both rocked “Under the Bridge” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but Joel went with Frank because he has “unbridled, uncaged, exciting” quality in him. That sadly meant the end of “The Voice” road for Harry.
Again in Team Ricky, Carley Yelayotis and C Major went on a duet with Rihanna’s “Where Have You Been,” which didn’t exactly thrill the coaches. Still, will.i.am called the pair “ferocious.”
Ricky saved C Major, leaving Carly being snatched by Will in joining his team.
Duo ZK easily took on Tasha Amoroso with their rendition of Mumford and Sons’ “The Cave.” The coaches sided with ZK, despite the pair’s earlier disclaimer that the “song is not us.” Tasha was then eliminated.
Hayley Jensen and Kat Jade were next, singing Katy Perry’s “Roar.” But before they even made it to the stage, Katy herself appeared, giving them advice on how to sing her chart-topping hit. Her advice seemed to encourage the girls to belt out their best, leaving Kylie with the difficult choice of saving Kat over Hayley.
Even though Kylie asked Joel to save Hayley for her, Joel refused.
Former coach Keith Urban, who, along with Joel, was one of the original coaches of the show when it premiered in 2012, also made a surprise appearance. He returned on stage to sing his latest single, “Shame.”
With “American Idol” just recently aired its finale, Keith has time on his hands, telling everyone that he would be sticking around in the country for June.
The battle rounds will continue Monday night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report