Ankle Problems: Tony Parker's Status Unclear before NBA Finals Begin
By James Patrick Quizon | June 2, 2014 6:42 AM EST
Tony Parker has battled multiple injuries in his career and he's facing another one with an ankle injury days before the NBA Finals between his San Antonio Spurs and the defending champions Miami Heat.
May 31, 2014; Oklahoma City, OK, USA; San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker (9) handles the ball against Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook (0) during the second quarter in game six of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
The Frenchman missed the second half of their clinching win against the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference Finals because of a sore left ankle.
''I have no idea,'' Popovich said via a Yahoo Sports report. ''I don't know what the deal is.''
''He came to me about eight minutes on the clock (before the second half) and said he couldn't go,'' Popovich said in the same article. ''He couldn't cut. He was limping on it. He couldn't cut sideways or forward really.''
However, in another Yahoo article also on Sunday, NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski stated that Parker is "should be ready to play" for Game 1 of the best-of-seven championship series.
With the opening game still on Thursday (Friday in Australia), Parker has enough time to rest the ankle. If Parker can't get the clearance for Game 1, back-up point guards Patty Mills and Cory Joseph will try to fill the void. Even veteran swingman Manu Ginobili played the 1-spot against OKC after Parker went down.
But against the Heat, the Spurs need a healthy and 100 per cent Parker to avenge the last season's loss in the championship series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists