Ankle Problems: Tony Parker's Status Unclear before NBA Finals Begin
By James Patrick Quizon | June 2, 2014 6:42 AM EST
Tony Parker has battled multiple injuries in his career and he's facing another one with an ankle injury days before the NBA Finals between his San Antonio Spurs and the defending champions Miami Heat.
May 31, 2014; Oklahoma City, OK, USA; San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker (9) handles the ball against Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook (0) during the second quarter in game six of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
The Frenchman missed the second half of their clinching win against the Oklahoma City Thunder in the Western Conference Finals because of a sore left ankle.
''I have no idea,'' Popovich said via a Yahoo Sports report. ''I don't know what the deal is.''
''He came to me about eight minutes on the clock (before the second half) and said he couldn't go,'' Popovich said in the same article. ''He couldn't cut. He was limping on it. He couldn't cut sideways or forward really.''
However, in another Yahoo article also on Sunday, NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski stated that Parker is "should be ready to play" for Game 1 of the best-of-seven championship series.
With the opening game still on Thursday (Friday in Australia), Parker has enough time to rest the ankle. If Parker can't get the clearance for Game 1, back-up point guards Patty Mills and Cory Joseph will try to fill the void. Even veteran swingman Manu Ginobili played the 1-spot against OKC after Parker went down.
But against the Heat, the Spurs need a healthy and 100 per cent Parker to avenge the last season's loss in the championship series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate