2014 French Open Update: Djokovic Embarrasses Tsonga In Front of Home Crowd
By James Patrick Quizon | June 2, 2014 5:37 AM EST
Expectations were high for the Jo-Wilfried Tsonga-Novak Djokovic match in the fourth round of the men's singles of the 2014 French Open. However, only one man showed up to play on Sunday with the Serbian embarrassing the Frenchman in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, 6-1.
The pair was involved in an epic five-setter in 2012 also in this Grand Slam but the No. 2 seed Djokovic was on a different plane on this day. The Serbian broke Tsonga 7-of-9 times and was very efficient both in his first and second serves (70 and 77 per cent, respectively). Tsonga also had-- again, embarrassingly-- 38 unforced errors in the match.
The only good news for Tsonga was that the one-sided affair was done in one hour and 29 minutes-- less time for the Frenchman to be embarrassed in front of his home crowd.
Djokovic will take on Milos Raonic of Canada in the quarterfinals.
View the slideshow for more images from the Djokovic-Tsonga domination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools