‘Maleficent’ Projected to Push ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Off the No. 1 Spot at the Weekend Box Office
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 2, 2014 3:40 AM EST
Re-imagining the world of the classic fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty," the new live action Disney movie "Maleficent," starring Angelina Jolie, is projected to own the number one spot at the box office this weekend and to push off the new superhero film "X-Men: Days of Future Past" to number two.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," starring Hugh Jackman, has made a stunning debut of $90.8 million in its first week at the box office, pushing "Godzilla," starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson who recently snagged a role in the highly anticipated steamy movie "Fifty Shades of Grey," to number two with $30.9 million and with a 66.8 percent decline.
Earlier predictions for the new 'X-men' film has set the bar high for the ensemble of fans favourite 'X-Men' characters, but it apparently still falls short during its opening on Memorial Day in the U.S. compared to the superhero movies other franchises.
Information from Box Office Mojo reveals that the new 'X-Men' franchise only ranks second behind "X-Men: The Last Stand" which opens to $102.8 million in 2006.
And for this weekend, which happens to be the end of May, the evil fairy is set to beat an ensemble of superheroes. Various reports consider "Maleficent" to pass through the 'X-Men' movie and claim a solid spot at the box office.
The Hollywood Reporter gives predictions that Angelina Jolie's movie is going to win the weekend with $60 million while "A Million Ways to Die in the West" sets out to an opening of $25 million.
Another film that is set to make a name at the box office is Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways to Die in the West," which is a story about a farmer, played by MacFarlance, who falls for a mysterious woman. According to Box Office Mojo predictions, the movie may end up third, which is a spot below the new 'X-Men' movie.
Jolie's movie, which also stars Elle Fanning (Princess Aurora), Brenton Thwaites (Prince Phillip), Sam Riley (Diaval) and more currently stands with a 45 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Meanwhile, MacFarlane's Western movie, also starring Charlize Theron (Anna), Amanda Seyfried (Louise), Liam Neeson (Clinch), Giovanni Ribisi (Edward), Neil Patrick Harris (Foy) and more hovers with 33 percent.
Both new movies hits theatres in the U.S. on May 30, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier