‘Maleficent’ Projected to Push ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Off the No. 1 Spot at the Weekend Box Office
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 2, 2014 3:40 AM EST
Re-imagining the world of the classic fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty," the new live action Disney movie "Maleficent," starring Angelina Jolie, is projected to own the number one spot at the box office this weekend and to push off the new superhero film "X-Men: Days of Future Past" to number two.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," starring Hugh Jackman, has made a stunning debut of $90.8 million in its first week at the box office, pushing "Godzilla," starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson who recently snagged a role in the highly anticipated steamy movie "Fifty Shades of Grey," to number two with $30.9 million and with a 66.8 percent decline.
Earlier predictions for the new 'X-men' film has set the bar high for the ensemble of fans favourite 'X-Men' characters, but it apparently still falls short during its opening on Memorial Day in the U.S. compared to the superhero movies other franchises.
Information from Box Office Mojo reveals that the new 'X-Men' franchise only ranks second behind "X-Men: The Last Stand" which opens to $102.8 million in 2006.
And for this weekend, which happens to be the end of May, the evil fairy is set to beat an ensemble of superheroes. Various reports consider "Maleficent" to pass through the 'X-Men' movie and claim a solid spot at the box office.
The Hollywood Reporter gives predictions that Angelina Jolie's movie is going to win the weekend with $60 million while "A Million Ways to Die in the West" sets out to an opening of $25 million.
Another film that is set to make a name at the box office is Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways to Die in the West," which is a story about a farmer, played by MacFarlance, who falls for a mysterious woman. According to Box Office Mojo predictions, the movie may end up third, which is a spot below the new 'X-Men' movie.
Jolie's movie, which also stars Elle Fanning (Princess Aurora), Brenton Thwaites (Prince Phillip), Sam Riley (Diaval) and more currently stands with a 45 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Meanwhile, MacFarlane's Western movie, also starring Charlize Theron (Anna), Amanda Seyfried (Louise), Liam Neeson (Clinch), Giovanni Ribisi (Edward), Neil Patrick Harris (Foy) and more hovers with 33 percent.
Both new movies hits theatres in the U.S. on May 30, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown