‘Maleficent’ Projected to Push ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Off the No. 1 Spot at the Weekend Box Office
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 2, 2014 3:40 AM EST
Re-imagining the world of the classic fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty," the new live action Disney movie "Maleficent," starring Angelina Jolie, is projected to own the number one spot at the box office this weekend and to push off the new superhero film "X-Men: Days of Future Past" to number two.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," starring Hugh Jackman, has made a stunning debut of $90.8 million in its first week at the box office, pushing "Godzilla," starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson who recently snagged a role in the highly anticipated steamy movie "Fifty Shades of Grey," to number two with $30.9 million and with a 66.8 percent decline.
Earlier predictions for the new 'X-men' film has set the bar high for the ensemble of fans favourite 'X-Men' characters, but it apparently still falls short during its opening on Memorial Day in the U.S. compared to the superhero movies other franchises.
Information from Box Office Mojo reveals that the new 'X-Men' franchise only ranks second behind "X-Men: The Last Stand" which opens to $102.8 million in 2006.
And for this weekend, which happens to be the end of May, the evil fairy is set to beat an ensemble of superheroes. Various reports consider "Maleficent" to pass through the 'X-Men' movie and claim a solid spot at the box office.
The Hollywood Reporter gives predictions that Angelina Jolie's movie is going to win the weekend with $60 million while "A Million Ways to Die in the West" sets out to an opening of $25 million.
Another film that is set to make a name at the box office is Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways to Die in the West," which is a story about a farmer, played by MacFarlance, who falls for a mysterious woman. According to Box Office Mojo predictions, the movie may end up third, which is a spot below the new 'X-Men' movie.
Jolie's movie, which also stars Elle Fanning (Princess Aurora), Brenton Thwaites (Prince Phillip), Sam Riley (Diaval) and more currently stands with a 45 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Meanwhile, MacFarlane's Western movie, also starring Charlize Theron (Anna), Amanda Seyfried (Louise), Liam Neeson (Clinch), Giovanni Ribisi (Edward), Neil Patrick Harris (Foy) and more hovers with 33 percent.
Both new movies hits theatres in the U.S. on May 30, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- The Bold and the Beautiful Spoilers for July 31, 2014: Plans, Conditions and Ultimatums in B&B [WATCH VIDEO]
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools