‘Maleficent’ Projected to Push ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Off the No. 1 Spot at the Weekend Box Office
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 2, 2014 3:40 AM EST
Re-imagining the world of the classic fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty," the new live action Disney movie "Maleficent," starring Angelina Jolie, is projected to own the number one spot at the box office this weekend and to push off the new superhero film "X-Men: Days of Future Past" to number two.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," starring Hugh Jackman, has made a stunning debut of $90.8 million in its first week at the box office, pushing "Godzilla," starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson who recently snagged a role in the highly anticipated steamy movie "Fifty Shades of Grey," to number two with $30.9 million and with a 66.8 percent decline.
Earlier predictions for the new 'X-men' film has set the bar high for the ensemble of fans favourite 'X-Men' characters, but it apparently still falls short during its opening on Memorial Day in the U.S. compared to the superhero movies other franchises.
Information from Box Office Mojo reveals that the new 'X-Men' franchise only ranks second behind "X-Men: The Last Stand" which opens to $102.8 million in 2006.
And for this weekend, which happens to be the end of May, the evil fairy is set to beat an ensemble of superheroes. Various reports consider "Maleficent" to pass through the 'X-Men' movie and claim a solid spot at the box office.
The Hollywood Reporter gives predictions that Angelina Jolie's movie is going to win the weekend with $60 million while "A Million Ways to Die in the West" sets out to an opening of $25 million.
Another film that is set to make a name at the box office is Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways to Die in the West," which is a story about a farmer, played by MacFarlance, who falls for a mysterious woman. According to Box Office Mojo predictions, the movie may end up third, which is a spot below the new 'X-Men' movie.
Jolie's movie, which also stars Elle Fanning (Princess Aurora), Brenton Thwaites (Prince Phillip), Sam Riley (Diaval) and more currently stands with a 45 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Meanwhile, MacFarlane's Western movie, also starring Charlize Theron (Anna), Amanda Seyfried (Louise), Liam Neeson (Clinch), Giovanni Ribisi (Edward), Neil Patrick Harris (Foy) and more hovers with 33 percent.
Both new movies hits theatres in the U.S. on May 30, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2