Boxing News 2014: Donaire Gets 5th Title, Wins Over Vetyeka Via Technical Decision After 4th Round
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 1, 2014 3:24 AM EST
Congratulatory messages flooded Twitter on Sunday morning after Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr won over South African pugilist Simpiwe Vetyeka in a technical decision at the The Venetian in Macau.
It was the fifth title for the Filipino boxer, seen widely as the successor of eight-division title holder and fellow Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. With the WBA featherweight belt on Donaire now, he improved his record to 33-2, 23 KO.
Donaire suffered a cut in round two, said to be an accidental headbutt, which was repeated before the bell rang.
Vetyeka continued to be aggressive in the third and fourth rounds, but suddenly Donaire sends Vetyeka to the floor with a left hook, followed with a second left hook and a straight right just before the bell.
The referee stopped the fight before the start of round 5 because of the cut but declared Donaire victor based on the identical score of the three judges 49-46. Professional boxing rules state that the score cards are the basis after four rounds in case of an accidental head butt.
Minutes after the fight, Donaire recalled that he had difficulty seeing with the blood and medicine going in his eyes, "but there's no 'quit' in my vocabulary." He also admitted he didn't know what was going after the headbutt, possibly dazed by the injury.
"I didn't want the fight to be stopped because I want to continue for the fans," The Philippine Star quoted Donaire.
Vetyeka disagreed with the decision, saying it wasn't a headbutt, but Donaire assured his South African opponent a rematch.
Donaire is celebrating his victory of holding the featherweight, flyweight, super flyweight, bantamweight and super bantamweight titles by inviting his Macau fans to Bellinis, the new champ tweeted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510