Boxing News 2014: Donaire Gets 5th Title, Wins Over Vetyeka Via Technical Decision After 4th Round
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 1, 2014 3:24 AM EST
Congratulatory messages flooded Twitter on Sunday morning after Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr won over South African pugilist Simpiwe Vetyeka in a technical decision at the The Venetian in Macau.
It was the fifth title for the Filipino boxer, seen widely as the successor of eight-division title holder and fellow Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. With the WBA featherweight belt on Donaire now, he improved his record to 33-2, 23 KO.
Donaire suffered a cut in round two, said to be an accidental headbutt, which was repeated before the bell rang.
Vetyeka continued to be aggressive in the third and fourth rounds, but suddenly Donaire sends Vetyeka to the floor with a left hook, followed with a second left hook and a straight right just before the bell.
The referee stopped the fight before the start of round 5 because of the cut but declared Donaire victor based on the identical score of the three judges 49-46. Professional boxing rules state that the score cards are the basis after four rounds in case of an accidental head butt.
Minutes after the fight, Donaire recalled that he had difficulty seeing with the blood and medicine going in his eyes, "but there's no 'quit' in my vocabulary." He also admitted he didn't know what was going after the headbutt, possibly dazed by the injury.
"I didn't want the fight to be stopped because I want to continue for the fans," The Philippine Star quoted Donaire.
Vetyeka disagreed with the decision, saying it wasn't a headbutt, but Donaire assured his South African opponent a rematch.
Donaire is celebrating his victory of holding the featherweight, flyweight, super flyweight, bantamweight and super bantamweight titles by inviting his Macau fans to Bellinis, the new champ tweeted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced