Boxing News 2014: Donaire Gets 5th Title, Wins Over Vetyeka Via Technical Decision After 4th Round
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 1, 2014 3:24 AM EST
Congratulatory messages flooded Twitter on Sunday morning after Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr won over South African pugilist Simpiwe Vetyeka in a technical decision at the The Venetian in Macau.
It was the fifth title for the Filipino boxer, seen widely as the successor of eight-division title holder and fellow Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. With the WBA featherweight belt on Donaire now, he improved his record to 33-2, 23 KO.
Donaire suffered a cut in round two, said to be an accidental headbutt, which was repeated before the bell rang.
Vetyeka continued to be aggressive in the third and fourth rounds, but suddenly Donaire sends Vetyeka to the floor with a left hook, followed with a second left hook and a straight right just before the bell.
The referee stopped the fight before the start of round 5 because of the cut but declared Donaire victor based on the identical score of the three judges 49-46. Professional boxing rules state that the score cards are the basis after four rounds in case of an accidental head butt.
Minutes after the fight, Donaire recalled that he had difficulty seeing with the blood and medicine going in his eyes, "but there's no 'quit' in my vocabulary." He also admitted he didn't know what was going after the headbutt, possibly dazed by the injury.
"I didn't want the fight to be stopped because I want to continue for the fans," The Philippine Star quoted Donaire.
Vetyeka disagreed with the decision, saying it wasn't a headbutt, but Donaire assured his South African opponent a rematch.
Donaire is celebrating his victory of holding the featherweight, flyweight, super flyweight, bantamweight and super bantamweight titles by inviting his Macau fans to Bellinis, the new champ tweeted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies