Boxing News 2014: Donaire Gets 5th Title, Wins Over Vetyeka Via Technical Decision After 4th Round
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 1, 2014 3:24 AM EST
Congratulatory messages flooded Twitter on Sunday morning after Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr won over South African pugilist Simpiwe Vetyeka in a technical decision at the The Venetian in Macau.
It was the fifth title for the Filipino boxer, seen widely as the successor of eight-division title holder and fellow Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. With the WBA featherweight belt on Donaire now, he improved his record to 33-2, 23 KO.
Donaire suffered a cut in round two, said to be an accidental headbutt, which was repeated before the bell rang.
Vetyeka continued to be aggressive in the third and fourth rounds, but suddenly Donaire sends Vetyeka to the floor with a left hook, followed with a second left hook and a straight right just before the bell.
The referee stopped the fight before the start of round 5 because of the cut but declared Donaire victor based on the identical score of the three judges 49-46. Professional boxing rules state that the score cards are the basis after four rounds in case of an accidental head butt.
Minutes after the fight, Donaire recalled that he had difficulty seeing with the blood and medicine going in his eyes, "but there's no 'quit' in my vocabulary." He also admitted he didn't know what was going after the headbutt, possibly dazed by the injury.
"I didn't want the fight to be stopped because I want to continue for the fans," The Philippine Star quoted Donaire.
Vetyeka disagreed with the decision, saying it wasn't a headbutt, but Donaire assured his South African opponent a rematch.
Donaire is celebrating his victory of holding the featherweight, flyweight, super flyweight, bantamweight and super bantamweight titles by inviting his Macau fans to Bellinis, the new champ tweeted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop