Boxing News 2014: Donaire Gets 5th Title, Wins Over Vetyeka Via Technical Decision After 4th Round
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 1, 2014 3:24 AM EST
Congratulatory messages flooded Twitter on Sunday morning after Filipino boxer Nonito Donaire Jr won over South African pugilist Simpiwe Vetyeka in a technical decision at the The Venetian in Macau.
It was the fifth title for the Filipino boxer, seen widely as the successor of eight-division title holder and fellow Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao. With the WBA featherweight belt on Donaire now, he improved his record to 33-2, 23 KO.
Donaire suffered a cut in round two, said to be an accidental headbutt, which was repeated before the bell rang.
Vetyeka continued to be aggressive in the third and fourth rounds, but suddenly Donaire sends Vetyeka to the floor with a left hook, followed with a second left hook and a straight right just before the bell.
The referee stopped the fight before the start of round 5 because of the cut but declared Donaire victor based on the identical score of the three judges 49-46. Professional boxing rules state that the score cards are the basis after four rounds in case of an accidental head butt.
Minutes after the fight, Donaire recalled that he had difficulty seeing with the blood and medicine going in his eyes, "but there's no 'quit' in my vocabulary." He also admitted he didn't know what was going after the headbutt, possibly dazed by the injury.
"I didn't want the fight to be stopped because I want to continue for the fans," The Philippine Star quoted Donaire.
Vetyeka disagreed with the decision, saying it wasn't a headbutt, but Donaire assured his South African opponent a rematch.
Donaire is celebrating his victory of holding the featherweight, flyweight, super flyweight, bantamweight and super bantamweight titles by inviting his Macau fans to Bellinis, the new champ tweeted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date