Boxing News 2014: UAE Promoter Prince Amir Shafipur Claims He Can Bring Pacquiao-Mayweather Dream Match to Dubai in 2015
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 1, 2014 2:22 AM EST
Money talks, even for multi-titled boxing champions who swear they will never deal with a particular boxing promoter. UAE fight promoter Prince Amir Shafipur wants to prove that right by promising on Friday that he would make possible what Muhammad Ali has been calling for. That is the Dream Match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather which the prince vowed to bring to Dubai in 2015.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines during a news conference in Las Vegas
The prince made the announcement before 5,000 fans at the inauguration of the Global Fighting Championship (GFC) at the Dubai World Trade Centre.
The Gulf News quoted Prince Amir as saying, "I will honestly and truthfully tell you that is anyone can convince them to fight, and to fight in Dubai, I can ... I have a lot of worldwide connections, with managers, promoters, fighters and people in the business, who speak the same language that Mayweather and Pacquiao are speaking."
The royal said that he is working with a major boxing promoter in the U.S. with connections to both pound-for-pound king contenders and has the capacity to push the match through. "It's not a boast, it's a commitment," Prince Amir said.
The fight promoter said he is aware of attempts by different people to make the fight happen, but various issues have stood between the two welterweight champions ranging from blood tests to promoters involved. "I know many people have failed to bring them to the ring, for many reasons, but I believe that we have the formula to make it happen. And then the whole boxing scene will explode," the UAE prince promised.
Besides, Dubai, the inaugural GFC series that Prince Amir has organised will also have bouts in Turkey, Holland and Morocco. The winner of each venue will fight for the grant prize of $1 million in the Grand Prix final to be held in Australia.
The prince said that the UAE has the best horse race, golf and tennis events taking place, all it needs is a fight event that will amaze everyone, "and that event is Pacquiao vs Mayweather - and we are going to make it happen."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown