Indonesia’s Sangeang Api Volcano Erupts, Ash Causes Cancellation of Australia-Indonesia Flights (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 1, 2014 12:05 AM EST
Mount Sangeang Api in Indonesia erupted on Friday, spewing ashes in the air between 20,000 and 50,000 feet in the air and up to 15 kilometres across. The ash plume swept towards Alice Springs in Australia.
The eruption caused Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin Australia to cancel all flights between Australia and Bali. Among the cancelled route were Bali-bound planes from Melbourne, Darwin, Adelaide and East Kimberley. Also cancelled were Jetstar Asia trips between Bali and Singapore.
Authorities said the cancellation of flights could last for a few days, at the very least until Sunday. Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said it could take days before services between Australia and Indonesia return to normal depending on the wind and other conditions.
He added the ash could also affect flights from other airports, including Brisbane. Airlines cancel flights whenever volcanoes spew ash in the air because the live particles could damage aircraft engines.
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority warned Australian pilots and aviation operators about the danger of flying through or near the ash, but the decision is ultimately left in the hands of airlines.
Emile Jansons, manager of the Darwin Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre said, quoted by Reuters, "The volcano is undergoing a sustained, rather significant eruption at the moment."
He said the centre has been observing the volcano for the past 10 hours generating large masses of volcanic ash, but no one has a good handle on how the volcano would behave in the next 24 hours or more.
Since 1988, the Indonesian island where Sangeang Api is located has no permanent residence since the fled the place after the last eruption. Nearby farmers were ordered to vacate the area.
Sangeang Api is one of the 130 active volcanoes in Indonesia. Its first recorded eruption was in 1512 and the last was December 2012.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Black Holes Are The Celebrities of Astronomy
- Interstellar Dust Discovered Inside NASA Spacecraft May be Alien Visitors [Watch Video]
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- US, Canada Labour Activists ‘Block the Boat for Gaza’ Succeed in Blocking Docking of Israeli Ship in California Port
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Larger 5.5inch iPhone 6 Variant Will Roll Out in the Market as ‘iPhone 6L’
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff